North Avenue and N Marshfield Ave

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
North Avenue and N Marshfield Ave
Posted by: kgamb ()
Date: September 13, 2012 12:13AM

Hi everyone,

It's been too long of a hiatus from my favorite board!

My friend who lives just near North Avenue and N Marshfield Avenue (1614 to be exact) is experiencing some "interesting" events in his home. It's not an old home - very new actually - however; he is trying to find out any information on the land, what was there in the past, etc. I've looked and haven't found anything much, so I wanted to post here and see what you guys might drum up. I'm not making this up - He's had a lot of issues with things he cannot explain.

Here is the exact address: https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=1614+Marshfield+chicago&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x880fd2c36089ada7:0x5877db17fcfdb632,1614+N+Marshfield+Ave,+Chicago,+IL+60622&gl=us&ei=n0FRUKj4FMf_ygGmnIDgDg&ved=0CCAQ8gEwAA

Any information at all is helpful and appreciated!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 12:41AM by kgamb.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: North Avenue and N Marshfield Ave
Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: September 13, 2012 12:44AM

noticed the raised street (and sunken garden apartments going down the street.)

Perhaps its swamp gas building up?

AD:

Date: September 13, 2012 08:41PM

[b]Go to polk's 1929 chicago directory. Is that 1614 north Marshfield or 1614 w. North aveenue?[/b]

AD:

Date: September 14, 2012 12:11AM

Richard said:
Go to polk's 1929 chicago directory. Is that 1614 north Marshfield or 1614 w. North aveenue?

It's 1614 North Marshfield, Richard.

AD:

Date: September 16, 2012 11:00PM

I looked up the address in the 1929 Polk Directory (and I also looked up my own address). Really fascinating. I'm wondering how to interpret the entries where there are numerous persons shown at one address. Were most homes split into apartments or am I misreading the directory? I realize addresses may be slightly to very different to present.

Thanks for your help.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: September 18, 2012 06:55PM

Thanks for the Polk's directory - found out the architect who designed my building either lived there or owned a unit.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 07, 2013 02:26AM

The reason the garden apartments are below sidewalk level is they were built before the grade of the streets were raised. You see a lot of this in that area, particularly Bucktown. I believe the Polk directory lists residents from top to bottom. That is three flats, third floor residents listed first and so on down the line. Polk directory is fascinating. Found out I lived in the same apt as one of the victims of the St Valentines day massacre. And never knew it when I lived there. Oh well!

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: January 10, 2013 12:57PM

Which victim murphman? And what is his address?

AD:

Date: January 11, 2013 01:04PM

Rusty, It was Adam Heyer, aka Frank Snyder. The address is 2024 W Farragut second floor. The wake was also held there according to his obit.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: January 11, 2013 03:40PM

Is Polk's online? Where does one find it?

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: January 11, 2013 05:01PM

jak378 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Polk's online? Where does one find it?

I keep hearing about Polks' reverse address lookup too. Wish I could find it!

So far I've found this site: http://georgekrejci.com/ with several links to various resources and address Directories.

AD:

Date: January 12, 2013 12:17PM

Go to Chicago historical society website. Online resources. And take it from there. Takes a while to load on my 1968 computer but is an endless source of fascination. The 1929 version is online. Seems to me there may be one more in the seventies but not sure.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact