Bertrand Goldberg’s Melrose Park homes
Bertrand Goldberg’s Melrose Park homes
Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: August 25, 2012 11:27PM

Can anyone tell me where these homes are located? I did some searching and a home at 1523 N 23rd av claimed to be one of these. I drove by today and it's a typical 50's brick ranch. Since the tour is sold out, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Thanks!

Re: Bertrand Goldberg’s Melrose Park homes
Posted by: QlassiQue ()
Date: August 27, 2012 01:49AM

Sorry you weren’t able to join us today – we wish we could have accommodated everyone, but we had a huge demand for this tour.

You are actually very close – actually, on the right block – but the house you found was built after 1950, and is not part of the original 1939 Goldberg Standard Homes. If you send an email to FC175@forgottenchicago.com we’ll send you the 1950 fire insurance map showing the location of the Standard Homes.

Thanks,
The Forgotten Chicago Crew

Date: August 28, 2012 04:28AM

Done! I can't believe how close I was!

Posted by: QlassiQue ()
Date: August 28, 2012 05:35PM

If anyone else is interested in the location of these homes, the great blog PrairieMod has a post today on the location of these homes here: http://www.prairiemod.com/prairiemod/

Date: August 29, 2012 06:02AM

Thanks again for the map, I did a Google street view and was able to take a peek at one. I'll be driving by very soon. I got interested in this as my brother lives in a very small house in Stone Park. I was wondering if his was one of these homes but his is even smaller. His has one bedroom and is listed at 544 sq ft. I guess I'm wrong though, I did some research and it says his house was built in 1947.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2012 06:14AM by Vern H.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact