Italian Beef Restaurant on Belmont

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Italian Beef Restaurant on Belmont
Posted by: theseos ()
Date: August 12, 2012 02:04PM

Does anybody remember the name of an Italian beef restaurant (also served hot dogs, hamburgers, etc) I think was located on Belmont near Clark in Lakeview that was around at least into the early 2000s, and could still be there (but didn't find it on Google Street maps). It had local and other celebrity photos all over the walls who ate there. It might have had a yellow and orange color theme inside if I recall correctly.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Italian Beef Restaurant on Belmont
Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: August 15, 2012 01:30AM

Muskie's on Belmont nr Sheffield?????????. That's the only one I could think of. The place had a fire & never re-opened.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: August 15, 2012 05:10PM

This is not the place you are talking about, but I grew up on the other end of Belmont, and the best Italian beef stand in the neighborhood was a place called Maione's. It was on the south side of Belmont, about 7400 or 7500 west. It was run by a husband and wife, and their sandwiches were by far the best I ever had. Unfortunately, we went by one day, and the place was closed, and it was replaced by yet another of the anonymous six flats that are along Belmont Avenue out there.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H ()
Date: August 19, 2012 07:04AM

I have lived in the Dunning area my entire life and cannot place this beef stand. Are you sure it was on the south side of the street?

AD:

Posted by: Johnny Sauganash ()
Date: August 21, 2012 02:26PM

Speaking of beef joints on West Belmont, I recall another place that was even further west -- near Cumberland on the north side of the street close to the bus turnaround. I believe it was Bob-o-rino's, so possibly an outpost of the place of the same name on Central south of Addison. I could have the name completely wrong, and be partially mixing it up with the Bob-O's on Irving Park Road at about the same address. However, I worked on Irving at the time, so I know the place, whatever the name, was down on Belmont.

AD:

Date: August 22, 2012 03:52AM

I remember Bob-O-Rinos, great sub sandwiches! It was at Belmont & Pontiac, right before Cumberland. Bob-O's is still on Irving park amd BTW has great beefs. Ther were featured on Channel 7 a few months back. The wife and I went there and the beefs were excellent!

AD:

Date: August 24, 2012 03:53PM

Vern,
I remember this like it was yesterday. Maybe I am older than you, as I remember going to this place in our 1949 Chrysler. Since we bought a new car in 1965, it was definately before 1965.

AD:

Date: August 25, 2012 11:30PM

Well, I was 10 in 1965 and I live (still) around 8100w on Belmont.

AD:

Date: August 28, 2012 06:59PM

Thinking about it, I think Maione's might have been on the corner where Lenny Patrick's apartment building is now.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact