Tavern at Addison and Clark

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Tavern at Addison and Clark
Posted by: Sue ()
Date: June 04, 2012 12:21AM

Where would I start to look for an old photograph of the saloon my grandparents owned at the corner of Addison and Clark. It is now the Cubbie Bear. I would love to see what it looked like in 1912 when my father was born. Any suggestions of where to start looking would be very much appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Tavern at Addison and Clark
Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: June 06, 2012 01:08PM

I struck out with http://www.whatwasthere.com
but it might still be of use to you for other searches.

AD:

Posted by: kgamb ()
Date: June 22, 2012 06:20PM

Hi Sue,

Here's a shot from 1913, but it's of the stadium. Thought you'd still like to see it. Once on the site, click on the photo "A New Ballpark" in the Cubs timeline.

http://www.dipity.com/ehoffm03/Cubs/

Kelley

AD:

Posted by: spike ()
Date: October 11, 2012 07:08PM

HI SUE

SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU IN YOUR QUEST. IM LOOKING FOR INFO. ON A BAR MY GRANDFATHER OWNED AT 3233/3237 NORTH CLARK ST FROM 1945 TO 1956 CALLED
BIT OF FINLAND. THERE WAS A BOWLING ALLEY NEXT TO THE BAR, DON'T KNOW THE NAME OF IT , THAT BURNED DOWN , BURNING THE BAR DOWN WITH IT.

GOOD LUCK SPIKE

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: October 13, 2012 02:31PM

Caught this by Chicao Past through a Twitter feed Recently:

Clark @ Belmont @ Halsted looking NNW toward Addison from 1955

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 04:31AM

Cant help you with a Photo but part of what is now the cubby bear was Standard condenser up until the late seventies. This would comprise the section west of the corner. Visited my grandfather there many times at work. Lot next to Browns was employee parking. My gramps HATED the Cubs for this reason. It was hell for him to get to work during baseball season. Also railroad tracks ran through the lot, don't know if they still do.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact