soccer/baseball field behind Western Pumping Station

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
soccer/baseball field behind Western Pumping Station
Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: March 28, 2012 04:57AM

This was inspired by the "Sparta Stadium" thread:

Recently on Google Maps and streetview I noticed a large soccer field located behind the Western Avenue Pumping Station at 4933 S. Western. If you look on streetview you can see that the field is elevated, as if it is set up above the water pipes/tanks connected to the station.

Does anyone know about the history of this field and or its current use? Has anyone ever used it?

I looked on historic aerials and it used to have two baseball diamonds. At some point in the 80's the baseball footprint starts to fade and the soccer field emerges - that is actually kind of fascinating to track by looking at the different aerials - probably due to demographic changes in the neighborhood.

I haven't been able to find anything about this field on the internet. It does not appear to be a park district park. It may have a lock on the gate.

I'd be interested in any information anyone could offer.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: soccer/baseball field behind Western Pumping Station
Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:41PM

This was originally built as a Little League field, but unfortunately the name of the league escapes me, but possibly Back of the Yards Little League, which would seem obvious.

AD:

Posted by: mcnessa ()
Date: March 28, 2012 01:55PM

A Tribune article from 1939 lists that address as one of 400 vacant lots that would be turned into playing fields that summer.

AD:

Date: March 28, 2012 10:58PM

[b]In the early 70's I hung out at a tavern at 50th & oakley right across the street south of it. It was a little league field at that time. Some of the parents would come to the tavern after the game to hang out.[/b]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 11:54PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: wkinzie ()
Date: March 29, 2012 03:56PM

The league you are talking about was called Town of Lake little league and pony league, 2 fields. One for little league, the other for pony league,used to play pony league baseball there, Back of the Yards little league was located at 47 and Damen. I played little league there also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 04:01PM by wkinzie.

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: March 30, 2012 12:44PM

Yes, Town of Lake. Thanks.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo ()
Date: April 01, 2012 05:06AM

Thanks for all the helpful and informative replies.

Does anyone know who owns the land? Is it the Water Reclamation District? Does anyone know who has access to the field now? Can you just go and play on it? Or is it locked and only open to those in the approved leagues, etc.? Its weird that it hasn't become part of the Park District or has some other type of identifiable existence like Thillens Stadium (which I think is also on Water Reclamation District land, or at least abuts it.

AD:

Posted by: wow1029 ()
Date: April 02, 2012 11:42PM

the league did pretty well for itself.however with the racial makeup(and no please i don't mean it bad) changing it really led the league to pretty much barely hang on.in 1990 i think it was a massive amount of rain fell on chicago and really had town of lake fields in horrible shape.they used to lite the puddles on fire to get rid of them(don't ask have read that from baseball players who played there) well they were in a partnership with brighton kelly little league.all the makeup games and there were many got played at bkll.the head groundskeeper from the white sox said there would have to be a complete tear down and rebuild costing $$$$ so town of lake was no more.the field was build on top of tanks and use had to hand mow it no lawn tractors.they had a concession stand at the bottom of the steps.so many leagues gone.bermele,town of lake,gage,ect,ect.memories.they have a site on facebook with many great pictures of the league in it's heyday.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 31, 2015 11:23PM

In the 50's the neighborhood kids called it the white mountains because a area of the hill by the tracks was blown up. In the late 50's the city water company dug a reservoir and we all enjoyed climbing the mud walls and then in the 60's they made it into a ball field.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact