Root Coffee House, 3260 W. Armitage

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Root Coffee House, 3260 W. Armitage
Posted by: BrianJ ()
Date: March 11, 2012 01:00AM

Does anyone remember this place from the 1960's? I found an intriguing news report from Feb. 1968 that said two white street gangs had a fight in this place, causing the police to shut it down. Apparently, it was run by a "Reverend Johnson" and his wife. This was a pretty working class neighborhood, and it made we wonder whether Chicago had coffee houses outside of Old Town and Hyde Park.
BTW, the address is now, of course, condos.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Root Coffee House, 3260 W. Armitage
Posted by: den28 ()
Date: January 13, 2013 02:16PM

I went there when at that time its was a hangout for some of the neighboorhood older kids, who said they were gangs (weren't) No coffeehouse just a hang out where we could dance and at the time we had chaperones had to be there. The fight was just a bunch of guys having a normal brawl. After that it got closed down. It was a coffee house before we got in. I remember the police or someone came in and took a film of us dancing. I don't know what happened to the people who used to go there probably all in jail or dead oh except me and 2 others I know !

AD:

Re: Root Coffee House, 3260 W. Armitage
Posted by: Bill_Baar ()
Date: January 22, 2013 06:02PM

Reminds me of Doc Gandolf's General Store. It was on Lake Street just east of Austin. The Alum have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/364888284477/

[i]Gathering point for folks who were someway, somehow involved in the late '60s somewhat hippie type gathering place located in the Austin neighborhood in Chicago, Illinois

Specifically, we had a storefront on Lake Street, just east of Austin[/i]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact