Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets
Posted by: PHILC ()
Date: March 04, 2012 02:14PM

Does anyone know of photos of the area around Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets before the Northwest Expressway was built and destroyed much of that area? My grandmother lived about a half block north of Grand on Aberdeen (then known as Curtis) about 1900-1910. I'm sure that years ago I saw a photo of that block at the Chicago History Museum but have been unable to relocate it in recent years.

Just posted this in the wrong place. I hope this will be a little clearer.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets
Posted by: Miss-Black ()
Date: March 05, 2012 09:05PM

I don't know if it will be helpful, but the older bartenders (I mean the really old ones, they're all old) at Richard's Bar (on the corner of Grand, Milwaukee, and Halsted) all seem to have grown up in the neighborhood. They have great stories about the area before the Ohio feeder ramp was built. I live in the neighborhood, and there is a fantastic picture in my lobby of Erie Street when it still had a bridge over the river.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, because I'd love to see old pictures of the neighborhood as well.

AD:

Re: Grand Avenue and Aberdeen Streets
Posted by: PHILC ()
Date: March 07, 2012 12:10PM

There is a photo of the Kennedy Expressway under construction looking over the ohio street bridge toward the Loop. Grand Ave and Aberdeen would have been beyon the church on the right . Looks like this picture is about 1959?

http://archives.archchicago.org/room_iii.htm

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact