City of Chicago Salt Box

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
City of Chicago Salt Box
Posted by: catch1111 ()
Date: January 21, 2012 05:28AM

This might be bordering on minutiae, but with the recent snows in Chicago does anyone remember the purpose of the salt boxes that used to sit at certain intersections of Chicago? And why and when did they remove them?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: City of Chicago Salt Box
Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: January 21, 2012 12:46PM

I suppose it was for immediate availability when the need arose. The CTA also had them in different areas, at least into the late '50's. When did salt spreader trucks come into usage?
At Byrne School, 53rd & Oak Park on the SW side, I remember a guy driving an old Buick with bags of cinders in the trunk. He'd spread them at the four intersections by the school and then move on. He was not a local school custodian, must have been sent out by CPS.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: January 22, 2012 01:56PM

There was one at the intersection by our school at Granville and Glenwood. There was a crossing guard there on school days and I believe she (or another city employee) used it, probably to make sure the intersection was ready for scool traffic in the event the plows and spreaders didn't get to it in time. I think it disappeared in the mid 70's.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 05:35AM

Wow another forgotten memory. I love this! Remember them well. were utilized for the people who didn't buy salt. Come to think of it no one did, you got it for free at the salt box. Da Mare was a great man!!!!

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: January 01, 2013 11:48PM

I think they were originally intended as drop-off points for community use.

One on Wrightwood @ Ashland outside the Streets & Sanitation garage was always filled fresh.

Sometime in the mid '70s they put a lock on the outside. It finally got broke apart by a car.

AD:

Posted by: Hugh Manatee ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:32PM

Thanks for the memories. I remember salt boxes at 63rd & Pulaski, 59th, 67th,about every 1/2 mile. They were for the general public and used mainly on sidewalks outside of businesses and stores.They disappeared about he same tine as the balloon man and hot dog street vendors.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: February 22, 2013 03:19PM

That DOES bring back some memories. I probably think they were removed because of age, potential vandalism, budget problems, etc.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: February 23, 2013 06:24PM

Here is a photo of one posted at FC on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200574948238854&set=o.17220794519&type=1&theater

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact