Dunning Line Photos

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dunning Line Photos
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: January 03, 2012 09:59PM

Thanks Dunning1!

I had no idea that we had so many gas stations so close together on Addison! Plus, thanks for the extra info regarding our neighborhood. I had a feeling the muffler shop on Oak Park and Addison was a former station.

My dad said he remembers the old school building on Addison and Narragansett. Fuzzy memories, but he said it all looked quite different.

Shekaago, it always amazes me how much our neighborhood has changed over the years. I was wondering how to get those Sanborn maps. I saw them online, but I cant get any free access ones.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Posted by: randoymwords ()
Date: January 04, 2012 12:50AM

I was curious about the Dunning line going through Mt. Olive Cemetery. When I was exploring the area, I noticed the gate where the line would have went through. Was someone from the cemetery out there on freight days to open the gates? and I don't supposed any bodies were delivered by train the way they were in Rosehill?

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten ()
Date: January 04, 2012 02:12PM

Maybe the bodies were delivered by train there also. On a side note, I know one sad story from there about a family that was so poor that they couldn't afford to hire someone to bring a young child's body to the cemetery for burial and the father and two daughters carried the casket on a streetcar to the cemetery. (The mother had passed away a few months earlier.)

Do you go to Mt. Olive often? Do you think it would be safe for someone to walk through? I've often wanted to visit there, but don't have a car.

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: January 05, 2012 06:23PM

Hope everyone had a nice holiday!

CrazyIvan25: I have a CPL Card and can access the Sanborn Maps and I'd be happy to try to somehow save the map images of our neighborhood in particular and email them to you. Just PM me and give me your email address and I'll work on it!

StrayKitten and Randoymwords: I suspect bodies may have been delivered by train but I don't know for sure. Mount Olive is a lovely place to walk through, especially on a nice day. I live just down the street from there and my parents and many other of my family members are buried there so I visit often and I have always felt safe.

AD:

Posted by: Eric Miller ()
Date: March 11, 2012 04:35PM

This train was operating on the Dunning Line in Spring 2003.

[url=https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=1018553d8e6bb538&resid=1018553D8E6BB538!108&parid=1018553D8E6BB538!106&authkey=!AJUrTUJxryJkDNY]Dunning Line[/url]

AD:

Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: March 16, 2012 03:09PM

Thanks Eric, i did not know this was still going on till 2003. I only saw the train like this in the early 90s.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: March 17, 2012 08:30PM

Don't forget Cumberland as well with the name change. It is Pueblo at one point and then to First Avenue.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: March 20, 2012 01:22AM

Now Cumberland/First/Thatcher can just be called "Rt 171", as major N/S state highways Rt 53, 83, 59, 47, etc...

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: March 10, 2013 01:23AM

There is another interesting aspect of the Dunning Line that has not been mentioned but is clearly visible on the turn of the century maps posted earlier on this site. Back then when the Dunning Line reached Dunning, it turned East and went all the way over to join the CNW Northwest main line at Mayfair. The section beyond Dunning was out of service and removed long ago.

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: March 23, 2013 12:14AM

A bit more detail about my last post about maybe there was a connection between the Dunning line and the railroad line just North of Dunning Hospitals. If you look at the 1910 map posted earlier on this site it sure looks possible that there was a connection with the Chicago Terminal Transfer line that later became the B&O Chicago Terminal. That line ran East to meet the CNW Northwest mainline at Mayfair. It was out of service very early and the Dunning line may never of used it even if there was a connection.

AD:

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact