Dunning Line Photos

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dunning Line Photos
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: December 02, 2011 05:04PM

Does anyone have any photographs of the old Dunning Line while it was in operation? I cannot find any at all.

I remember long ago when i used to go with my dad along the old right of way when it was all still "wild" with trees and shrubs. It was a great little strip to get away from it all. I remember when the Kimbell Factory burned down and was sad to see the right of way removed and houses placed there.

Does anyone have photos from the right of way before it was all built over?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Dunning Line Photos
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: December 02, 2011 06:27PM

I've been looking for info on the old Dunning Line for ages and haven't really found much but I will look through some old posts here on FC because there were just a few photos. I grew up just a block away from the old tracks and remember the "wild" right-of-way too!

AD:

Date: December 02, 2011 06:34PM

Here's a link to an earlier post covering the Kimbell Candy Company and a couple of photos taken before they pulled up the old tracks.

[url=http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/5/2724/5401/re__kimball_candy_company#msg-5401]Forum Post on Kimbell Candy Company and Old Dunning Spur Photos[/url]

AD:

Date: December 02, 2011 07:38PM

Thank you shekaago but I have seen that thread before. That is what prompted me to look for more, lol! :)

I am more interested if anyone has their own photos from around there before all the changes. I know that is probably going to be a lot tougher to find.

AD:

Posted by: StrayKitten ()
Date: December 05, 2011 12:01PM

Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question. Did the Dunning Line run near where the Dunning hospital used to be? The reason I ask is I live about 1-1/2 miles east of there at Irving Park and sometimes during the night I hear lone train whistles and it sounds like they are coming from that direction. I know there are train tracks about 4600 west, but this is east of me and I swear the sound is coming from the west.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2011 04:09PM

Ivan, I'm so, so sorry... But glad you had seen that older thread! I wish I had taken photos before they tore out the old tracks. I've been looking and researching and haven't found much information let alone photos of that line. I'm also interested to find photos of the old Dunning Train Station that once existed. All I've managed to dig up are old newspaper articles and some timetables but, unfortunately, no photos.:(

Stray Kitten, No! Not a stupid question at all! and... Yes! The line was a spur track that ran from the old State Hospital (Dunning) South along a path roughly at 6600 West (Nashville Avenue) and joining up with the main tracks just Northwest of the Galewood Station. There are still track remnants that run along the West edge of the Brickyard Shopping Center. End of the Dunning Line Tracks just north of Diversey - looking South.

Dunning Spur Tracks looking south from Diversey.

The trains you hear may be the ones that run along the Metra line located to the Southwest of you. I live near Addison and Oak Park and sometimes the train whistles sound to me as if they are coming out of the West as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 04:16PM by shekaago.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2011 06:38PM

Shekkaago,

I had no idea there was a Dunning train stop!

I do remember maybe back in the early 90s, maybe around 91-92, I remember there used to be a section of railroad track still sticking up on Roscoe before they built the houses there on the sidewalk. As a kid I was so fascinated with these tracks, seemingly right in the middle of the neighborhood. My dad recalls how way back in the 50s or 60s, he'd ride his bike up to Addison where the track used to go across, and he thinks he once saw a train or two go by.

The only time I ever saw a train on the Dunning Line was probably around 93-94 at the Brickyard. There was a locomotive and a few cars attached on the line just north of Fullerton. We came up and the engineer actually let me and my family to climb aboard and sit in the chair! My first time in a real train! They took a few pictures, but we never did get them. :( But it was so awesome to see a train just sitting there right next to the Brickyard.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2011 06:38PM

triple post sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 07:49PM by CrazyIvan25.

AD:

Date: December 05, 2011 06:39PM

woops triple post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2011 07:49PM by CrazyIvan25.

AD:

Date: December 07, 2011 05:26PM

CrazyIvan,

Yes, there actually was a Dunning Station! I just wish I could find an old photo of it. Back in the 80's we (the neighborhood kids of driving age) used to drive really fast down Roscoe and Cornelia to try to "catch air" over the bumps in the pavement where the tracks ran. :)
That's so great that the engineer of that train let your family climb aboard. What a wonderful memory!

AD:

Date: December 07, 2011 06:15PM

In which location was the station at?

I could just see it now going fast and pulling a Dukes of Hazzard there!

AD:

Date: December 08, 2011 08:13PM

Here are a couple of links to historic Chicago maps from the University of Chicago's online database showing the location of Dunning Station at approximately 6600 West Irving Park on the South side of the street. Unfortunately, you'll have to zoom way in to see the details but I'm just so happy these maps even exist!

[url=http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1890/G4104-C6E68-1897-B536-NW.html]1897 Map[/url]

[url=http://www.lib.uchicago.edu/e/su/maps/chi1900/G4104-C6-1910-R3-N.html]1910 Map[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 04:59PM

Wow,do I ever remember the old Dunning branch. I also live very near the corner of Oak Park and Addison, and live in the house my parents bought in 1953. While I moved all over the country, I wound up back in the house I grew up in. There certainly was a branch line coming off of the old Milwaukee Road mainline near Grand Avenue that used to come up to Dunning at around Nashville Avenue. When I was a child, I used to go over and visit a friend that lived on the 3500 block of North Natoma Avenue, as their back yard extended all the way down to the railroad tracks, where the townhouses now stand. If I remember correctly, there was one train that came up on Thursday afternoons to Dunning. This was probably in the late 1950's or early 1960's. The right of way split what is now Zion Memorial Park (the old Rosemont and Mount Mayriv Cemeteries) and we used to walk up the right of way up to Byron Avenue, where the city had a huge pile of sand, about two stories tall, that we used to play on. Mount Mayriv Cemetery used to be surrounded by a high concrete wall, and a passerby was unable to see into the cemetery, but there was a small pedestrian gate that was bolted shut that opened onto the railroad right of way just north of Addison Street. We kids tried to cut the bolt on the gate so we could get in and explore, but were not successful. Mount Olive Cemetery was also split in two, and there were a pair of gates on either side of the railroad siding. Right where the parking lot for the townhouses, and the condo building sit on Addison street, there used to be a white brick gasoline station. Behind the station, there was a small wooden building, not much larger than an outhouse, that had two low stories, along with a hand operated switch to a small siding that ran behind the gas station. Never knew quite what that was there for. In those days Dunning was an active mental institution and the train would block traffic on Irving Park Road while the staff opened the gates to the center.
In addition to this train, my father told me about a streetcar that was used to transport patients from Cook County Hospital out to Dunning on a weekly basis. I subsequently saw pictures of this streetcar in a book entitled "Chicago Surface Lines" which is a history of streetcar service in Chicago.
Going back to the siding, I remember as children that we would be walking along there with our dog, and we would hear the siren at Dunning going off, signaling that an inmate was missing or escaped. We had strict instructions to stop everything and run back home when hearing that siren.
On a similar note, I imagine that a lot of people don't realize that Oak Park Avenue used to pretty much end at Irving Park Road, and start up again at Forest Preserve Drive. There was a dedicated street through there, but the street was never paved and almost impassable. I believe it was also in the early 1960's when that was opened up. Sorry I don't have any pics of the siding, but I remember well walking along it, and waving to the engineers when they went by with their trains.

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 07:42PM

Dunning 1, thank you so much for your interesting post and for mentioning all the great memories you have of the old Dunning line. Some of the old Sanborn Fire Maps show that siding you mention that ran behind the gas station that once stood on the South side of Addison where the empty lot is now. I had read somewhere (I'll try to dig up the article) that, that stretch of Oak Park Avenue you had mentioned was built atop an old grave site and that is the reason that section of Oak Park Ave., as of today, still has no drainage grates, just a gravel shoulder.

Here's a link to an article which also includes information on that old "Cook County Car No. 1" Streetcar...
[url=http://www.abandonedasylum.com/dunning1.html]Abandoned Asylum Article on Dunning[/url]

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 07:44PM

BTW... I also moved back into the house my parents bought in 1960. I grew up there, moved away, and have now moved back!

AD:

Date: December 12, 2011 08:07PM

The article about "The Central Avenue Jog" also mentions the abandoned cemetery underneath Oak Park Avenue (see page 9).

[url=http://nwchicagohistory.org/jphs-jan2007.pdf]Jefferson Park Historical Society Newsletter - January 2007[/url]

AD:

Date: December 13, 2011 01:51PM

Well, my parents bought our house on Novewmber 13, 1953, but my grandfather bought the house next door and moved in on the day I was born in 1953. While that was my mother's father, my father's father was a stonemason and worked on a lot of the houses on Normandy, Oak Park, and Rutherford. My dad's oldest brother worked with him as an apprentice, and his job was putting the "S" irons on the chimney. My uncle told me that they built those houses around 1926. There were two brothers, Pete and August Gallowitsch, that also worked on the houses and who lived on Oak Park and Newcastle respectively. They were quite elderly when I was a child and must have passed on long ago. I understand that the development was originally started because there was supposed to be a subway line that was going to come up from downtown following Avondale Avenue, and then turning west onto Belmont, terminating at Oak Park Avenue. I have read in some books about the subway going along Avondale, but I have never seen anything about it terminating at Oak Park. It's ironic that my mother's father, who lived down at Jackson & Loomis for years, would buy a house right up the street from where my father's father had built the houses. I often wish they had bought some of the old houses my grandfather had built.

AD:

Posted by: Chris ()
Date: December 13, 2011 03:27PM

shekaago Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CrazyIvan,
>
> Yes, there actually was a Dunning Station! I just
> wish I could find an old photo of it. Back in the
> 80's we (the neighborhood kids of driving age)
> used to drive really fast down Roscoe and Cornelia
> to try to "catch air" over the bumps in the
> pavement where the tracks ran. :)
> That's so great that the engineer of that train
> let your family climb aboard. What a wonderful
> memory!

My sister's fiance has a picture of him catching air on I think it was Roscoe. We all grew up in the area. I'm trying to get my hands on it and I'll post it.

AD:

Date: December 13, 2011 05:26PM

Chris,
Hey, thanks! That would be awesome!

Dunning1,
The house I grew up in was built in 1960 by Peterson Builders but a lot of my childhood friends lived in those lovely Schorsch Homes. That's really interesting about the proposed subway line! I'll have to see if I can dig up anything on that. Anyway, here's an article on the Schorsch Homes. I'm sorry it's difficult to read. Zooming in seems to help a bit.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: December 16, 2011 03:51PM

Chris: that would be awesome if you could post that picture. Looks like the railroad knew about the car jumping, from http://chicagoswitching.com/v6/

"This view looks north across the George Street grade crossing. The same internal report stated that teenage drivers would often get airborne with their cars at this crossing, creating a potential liability issue for the railroad and another reason to abandon the line from this grade crossing north. Ahead is Kimbell Candy."

AD:

Date: December 16, 2011 04:13PM

Dunning 1
those are great memories! Somehow, I feel the railroad tracks in a neighborhood like ours made it that much more special and interesting! Kinda of hard to imagine for me seeing a large steam engine puffing its way across Roscoe and Cornelia towards Addison.

Is the gas station the same one that used to be on Neenah and Addison? I remember it standing till at least the early 90s. The empty lot is all that is left, and the old tall signpost on the corner is still there. I always thought it looked like a missile.

Now the plan for extending a subway to Oak Park Ave and Belmont, THAT peaked my interest big time. I'm trying to find anything regarding it, but sadly no mention of it on Chicago-L. Were they serious about it? Where did they mention this?

Shekaago
Thanks for the extra info regarding the Oak Park Ave cemetery. I had no idea that there was a cemetery there! Though it does explain the dirt shoulders and standing waters.

Were there two gas stations there on Addison by the tracks? Or was it one by the tracks, and then the second newer one on Neenah?

AD:

Date: December 16, 2011 04:17PM

Such a shame there are fewer and fewer abandoned tracks like this in Chicago, especially on the NW side. :(

AD:

Date: December 16, 2011 04:34PM

Well, one lead regarding the subway extension!

It was part of the 4th Stage of subway expansion in 1939!

AD:

Date: December 16, 2011 04:36PM

http://www.chicago-l.org/plans/1939CompSubway.html

It talks more in detail regarding the proposed subway systems in 1939.

What do you folks think? Can you imagine if we had a subway right on our doorstep? What would it have been like if these plans had gone through? Ahh, alternate reality imagination.

AD:

Date: December 16, 2011 04:44PM

one more view. Apparently, North Ave up to Central also would have had a subway tunnel. WOW! looks like it would have followed the Humboldt line, then gone underground.

This blows my mind that we could have had such extra infrastructure. Would it have been a good idea?

AD:

Date: December 17, 2011 01:22AM

What an awesome photo, 222! Thanks for posting it and is interesting to know the railroad was aware of cars "catching air" over the tracks.

And thanks, CrazyIvan, for the info on the proposed subway lines. Having a subway station at Belmont and Oak Park certainly would make my morning commute a whole lot faster! Your question about the gas station at Neenah and Addison prompted me to reexamine the Sanborn maps as I thought perhaps I had made a mistake but lo and behold there were many filling stations along Addison. There was the one at Neenah which is now an empty lot as well as another on the East side of the old tracks (approx. 6600 West Addison) and yet another station on Addison east of the one on Neenah. It seems odd that there were so many filling stations along Addison and I wonder if they were big-brand companies or independent stations.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: December 20, 2011 12:31AM

NIMBY-ism may have stopped the proposed subways, along with spending for the X-ways.

Regarding gas stations, in old days cars broke down more often and tires were not as durable, so there were more places to stop and get service. Only had maybe 4 gas pumps, compared to the big self serve places now. There were more independent gas stations too.

AD:

Date: December 21, 2011 02:36PM

Thanks for the filling station info, Tomcat630. That makes a lot of sense!

AD:

Date: December 22, 2011 05:55PM

Crazy Ivan,

Yes there were two gas stations on Addison, actually three between Oak Park and Narragansett. The white brick one I mentioned along the railroad tracks was right where the parking lot for the condo building on Addison now sits, I believe the actual condo building is a little to the west of the old station location. The gas station at Neenah was open I believe, still in the 1990's. I remember getting some bad gas there. What is now Tandil Auto Repair on the corner of Addison and Oak Park was originally a Sinclair station. By the time I was a child it was a "Deep Rock" station, and then later a Standard Station. The owner of the Standard Station also owned a Standard at Irving and Narragansett that was remodeled into the current small strip mall. The station at Addison and Oak Park was owned by the Back family, which built the big yellow brick house on the corner of Rutherford and Addison. The last of the daughters died off in the 1980's and the family properties were sold off. They also owned the building that was originally a grocery, later a barber shop, and now a dog grooming place just west of Oak Park on the south side of the street.
Another interesting thing about that area are the apartment houses on the southeast corner of Addison and Narragansett. I remember, as a child, probably in the late 1950's, that there was a large frame school building, a satellite of Grey School on Austin, that operated there. Since it was a frame building, it was closed and torn down after the Queen of Angels fire. I believe the apartment buildings are actually built on land leased from the Board of Education on long term leases, not actual "owned" property.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: December 24, 2011 06:07AM

Also, wanted to thank for the link to story of the Central av 'jog'. I always wondered why, along with other street jogs, like Austin, Nagle, and Oak Park. The Lawrence/Gunnison change over is so confusing if you are not local. Why not just say 'Lawrence' all the way?

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact