National Candy Company

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
National Candy Company
Posted by: ChiTownJim ()
Date: October 15, 2011 11:30AM

Does anyone have any info or pictures of the National Candy Company on Orleans and Superior? My Great-Grandfather and one of his sons worked there in the '20s and 30's. I know it was founded by Vincent Price's father and it was sold around 1946, but I can't find any other information about it.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: National Candy Company
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: October 15, 2011 11:53AM

I checked in Google Books, and there was a very interesting piece written about Dr. Vincent Clarence Price in 'Chicago: Its History And Its Builders' from 1912. In part:

[i]Though the Doctor is now a millionaire, he is yet a busy man and gives much of his personal attention to his manufacturing interests. Untiring in whatever he undertakes he is ceaseless in his efforts to succeed, and in his special lines he has led the manufacturers of the civilized world, and both his baking powers and extracts are known wherever such commodities are used. Dr. Price and son V.L. organized the Pan Confection Company, their third departure in industrial fields, which later was consolidated into the National Candy Company.[/i]

It's pretty funny if you read that passage in a Vincent Price voice.

Dr. Price was also president of the Lincoln National Bank and considered a Senate run for a time.

AD:

Re: National Candy Company
Posted by: ChiTownJim ()
Date: October 17, 2011 08:47AM

Thanks for the info. I just heard Vincent Price the other night in 'Thriller".:)

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact