1528 North Halsted
1528 North Halsted
Posted by: kgamb ()
Date: July 21, 2011 11:36PM

Hi everyone,

I do Pilates at a studio at 1528 North Halsted, a 100+-year-old building. The owner of the studio, who is also my trainer, mentioned to me that there are some old bank safes hidden in the walls of her building. Sure enough, she showed me one behind a door in a massage room, and another had been made into a changing room.

A great old building, but I'm wondering if anyone knows the age of the building and some history around the bank? She told me her landlord said there was some kind of Greek mafia outfit in there too, whatever that means...

I'll also be searching, but thought I'd start a discussion, as I thought it was pretty amazing the safes were just sitting there in the wall. I believe the name on the safe was W.H. something (the name of the safe company I suppose).

Have a great weekend!
Kelley

Re: 1528 North Halsted
Posted by: captain54 ()
Date: July 22, 2011 02:58AM

Having lived in Lincoln Park in the early to mid 80's, I can remember that stretch of Halsted (Division to Halsted) being a very desolate, dangerous area. I can't really remember any commercial establishments starting to fill up those buildings until well into the 90's. The only reason to venture down that way would have been to go the Golden Ox and even that was dicey.

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: July 22, 2011 01:00PM

Going out of town for a few days, but did a quick search....didn't find much.

July 1, 1923 Chicago Tribune article shows this as the residence (2nd floor I presume) of the Frank Huber family whose 8 year olf daughter was kidnapped by a "moron." It's an interesting story; a mob of 200 at Halsted and North were screaming to lynch the guy, and three cops were trying to hold the crowd at bay. The kidnapper live at 1587 (might be 1687) Clybourn. Another girl was kidnapped, she live at 1403 N. Halsted.

1929 Polk (this is available online) shows the building vacant.

Also checked a couple Chicago phone books; banks, savings and loan, and loan companies with no luck. My search was a quick one, when I come back I'll dig some more unless someone else can dig something up. I'm also thinking this could be any type of business as safes may have been standard years ago.

BTW, can you post some photos, Kelley?

Date: July 23, 2011 12:42AM

Here are some photos of the studio: [url=http://www.chicagopilatescollective.com/Studio_Gallery.html]Studio Photos[/url]

When I get back from our little weekend (going to Galena to hopefully relax and maybe find some antique stores along the way), I'll post some photos of the bank safes! The landlord told my trainer that it was indeed a bank. That's a crazy story about the kidnapping, rustymuscle!! I have to read more about that. Thanks for looking! Have a great weekend everyone.

Kelley

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: July 25, 2011 05:56PM

Spent some time digging in old yellow pages up to 1960, found nothing. This includes listings for banks, loan companies (various types), credit reporting companies, credit unions and savings and loan companies. Any further information would help!

Date: July 29, 2011 01:24AM

The owner has been out of town, so I haven't had an opportunity to talk more about what she knows. I will post as soon as I see her next ... More info to follow. Thanks rusty for looking!!

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact