Chicago Commuter Rail History

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Chicago Commuter Rail History
Date: July 15, 2011 11:39PM

Now, I posted this on another forum, and have received some help, so, I've decided to try me luck here as well. My question concerns old stations and their layout along the C&NW Northwest branch. I frequent this line, and until recently, didn't know of other intermediate stops besides Clybourn, Irving Park, Jeff. Park, Gladstone Park, etc. within the City of Chicago. So I'd like to know if these other stations along the line that were phased out around 1958 with the construction and opening of the Kennedy Expy. were local stops (like Irving Park with only side platforms and no access to today's current middle express track), or more like the rest of the stations on the line, or if local and express commuter operations were completely different during that time. Plus, any other information on the commuter operations of the other C&NW lines is much appreciated!

Also, at one time the C&NW also ran special trains to the Arlington Park Race Track and from some of the information I've gathered, these trains weren't listed in the official schedules of the time. Is there any information on when these trains ran?

Also, in general, if anyone could provide me with any other information regarding commuter rail lines that existed prior to the formation of the RTA and Metra, that would be helpful.

Any information on any of this (links, photos, etc.) is extremely helpful! Thank You!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago Commuter Rail History
Posted by: MIKETOUHY ()
Date: July 16, 2011 07:18PM

chicagotransitfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now, I posted this on another forum, and have
> received some help, so, I've decided to try me
> luck here as well. My question concerns old
> stations and their layout along the C&NW Northwest
> branch. I frequent this line, and until recently,
> didn't know of other intermediate stops besides
> Clybourn, Irving Park, Jeff. Park, Gladstone Park,
> etc. within the City of Chicago. So I'd like to
> know if these other stations along the line that
> were phased out around 1958 with the construction
> and opening of the Kennedy Expy.

What would the the K. Expy. have anything to do with the closing of these former stations?

There were a few on the C^NW other lines that were closed as well.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: July 18, 2011 02:13PM

I would have thought that the expansion of the el and decreased ridership would have had more to do with closings that the construction of the Kennedy specifically (with the blue line in the median of course). I recall reading somewhere that the commuter railways and CTA at the time divvied up "territory" too, but can't remember where - the commuter rail companies wanted to speed up service and get rid of underperforming city stops.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: January 20, 2016 03:50PM

Btt.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact