restaurants from 50/60s still open?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
restaurants from 50/60s still open?
Posted by: dsct61 ()
Date: May 29, 2011 09:34AM

Hi,

I am planning a "blast from the past" long weekend for my husband for Fathers Day.

He used to ride the train up to Chicago with his dad to see Cubs games in the 50s and early 60s.

I am trying to find any restaurants that are still open from that era to take him to before the Cubs game on Fathers Day (7 pm start time).

Can anyone suggest a location?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: restaurants from 50/60s still open?
Posted by: tim62b ()
Date: May 29, 2011 11:37AM

How About Gene & Georgetti's or Tufano's(Vernon Park Tap). Or Gino's East for pizza.

AD:

Posted by: jsk1983 ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:04AM

The Klas (Czech food) in Cicero has been open since the 1920s and remains largely unchanged.

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: May 30, 2011 02:06AM

sawa's old warsaw in broadview?

AD:

Posted by: nancybc ()
Date: May 30, 2011 10:41PM

Here are two links that have some restaurants listed and discussed.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/110365
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6205628/fine_dining_exploring_some_of_chicagos.html?cat=7
HOpe you find one you like!
Cheers,
nancy

AD:

Posted by: videogrrl ()
Date: May 31, 2011 08:11PM

Which train? What part of the city did he grow up in? It's a big city, and one person's nostalgia trip could be another's disorientation. That Chowhound thread is pretty old, you'd probably be better off asking this question at LTHforum.com.

And include the L train / commuter line / part of the city your husband grew up in.

AND have a great trip.

AD:

Posted by: waltk13 ()
Date: June 01, 2011 12:40AM

“Check, Please!” http://www.wttw.com/main.taf?p=1,49,1 WTTW’s restaurant review show just ran a program on long lasting restaurants…
http://blogs.wttw.com/checkplease/2011/02/18/a-look-at-long-lasting-restaurants/

The original Billy Goat Tavern is still there at 430 N. Michigan Ave. (lower level) as well; "Cheezborger! Cheezborger! No fries, cheeps! No Pepsi, Coke!"

AD:

Posted by: waltk13 ()
Date: June 01, 2011 12:51AM

One more thing, Wrigley Field is in the Lakeview neighborhood, so here is the link for the Lakeview Chamber of Commerce http://www.lakeviewchamber.com/ maybe they can tell you which restaurants around Wrigley date back to the time frame you mention.

AD:

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 03, 2011 09:59PM

Home run Inn Pizza on 31 street . Im glad there still around over there .I would like to eat at that place in the future . I have not been there sense 2007 . I was a kid when I first got to eat there , Because I delivered the paper for the lawndale news on 26 street back then . Me and my friends use to share a paper route . But in light of everything The owner would only let one person come to lunch for the paper boys . But the owner felt sorry and let me and my friends go all three of us . He was a very nice man to do that . I have never forgot people like that .

AD:

Posted by: Elaine W ()
Date: June 04, 2011 04:22PM

In the Lakeview neighborhood, about four blocks south of Wrigley Field, there's Ann Sather's Restaurant. It's at 909 W. Belmont (between the "L" tracks and Clark Street). I think Ann Sather started the restaurant sometime after World War II (I became familiar with it around 1970), and Tom Tunney has owned it for about 30 years, after Ann Sather retired.
Another long-running restaurant (different neighborhood, though) is the Medici in Hyde Park. I was reminded of this because of the recent death of the longtime owner, Hans Morsbach. The Medici started in the late 1950's--my recollection is that it was originally located on 53rd Street. Morsbach bought it in 1961, according to obituaries. Somewhere along the line it moved to 57th Street. There were actually a couple of different locations on 57th, and it's currently at 1327 E. 57th Street.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: June 07, 2011 03:46PM

Valois see your food, on 53rd Street has been open for eons. I guess Standee's is no more (wah!), but a lot of neighborhood diners are still open, although renamed and facelifted (with or without the same owners).

The Medici recreated their previous layout (they moved their art and furniture lock, stock and barrel) in the current location, with the addition of a roof terrace and second floor. The waitrons wear "Obama Eats Here" or "something something Kagan" shirts.

Burghoff or the Italian Village of course have been around forever and if you're coming from downtown, would be easy enough to eat at. Lakeview's had so much turnover through the years there isn't too much left there from "olden days".

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: January 27, 2016 04:01AM

Btt,

AD:

Date: January 27, 2016 12:08PM

btt

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 28, 2016 01:47AM

Does anyone know if Sir Ref's Steak House & Lounge is still open. It was across the street from Lourdes High School on 55th & Komensky Northeast corner.

I worked there all through high school & got 20% off on all food after hours on date night. Free food while you worked.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact