Do you know this book and/or the cover?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Do you know this book and/or the cover?
Posted by: nancybc ()
Date: April 26, 2011 07:32PM

HI,

I have just purchased a wonderful book on ebay that appears to have been published around 1930-1931.
It is simply titled 'Chicago'. It presents various aspects of the city-Art- Literature- Science-Education- Industry Commerce-Transportation- Finance- Athletics and a special section on the upcoming Chicago Centennial in 1933.

The contributors include:Col.Robert McCormack, James Simpson, Daniel Burnham, Stanley Field, Melvin Traylor, Waldemar Kaempffert, Benjamin Marshall, Lester Armour, Rufus Dawes and others.
It was put together by Rush C. Butler, Jr.
There are some great historical pictures of Chicago.

There is no publishing information in the book. I wonder if it could have been a publication of the Commercial Club for public relations or as a book for the members? Below is the link for the cover- which is also a poster.
I'd love to know more about the origins of the book as well as the artist/ sculptor who did the cover.
Thanks,
Nancy

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Do you know this book and/or the cover?
Posted by: bowler ()
Date: April 26, 2011 08:20PM

I'm not completely sure but this may be the book in question:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/chicago-the-worlds-youngest-great-city/oclc/222849?tab=details

AD:

Date: April 26, 2011 08:22PM

Yep, seems to be the right one:

http://www.amazon.com/CHICAGO-WORLDS-YOUNGEST-GREAT-CITY/dp/B000EIVDD6

AD:

Date: April 26, 2011 08:23PM

Here is some info about the poster and artist:

http://www.bossbooks.com/chicago.html

AD:

Date: April 26, 2011 10:30PM

Bowler!
You are sooo good! I did not think to check Amazon and am very grateful you did.
The book does not include the 'World's Greatest Young City" anywhere and it does not look as though a front page has been torn out. THe next piece of the puzzle is if it was published by the Commercial Club. I have a question in to them and hope they respond. It really is a little treasure. Who knows if Robert McCormack and Lester Armour really wrote their own articles or one of their staff did- but it is a love song to Chicago and I'm happy to have found it. Inexpensive copies on Amazon if anyone is interested ( under $10.).
Thanks so much for the information and for leading me to William Welsh, the artist.
Cheers!
Nancy

AD:

Date: April 27, 2011 07:21PM

The Commercial Club responded and it is not their publication.Perhaps it was to promote Chicago tourism and or commerce.
Nancy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2011 07:31PM by nancybc.

AD:

Posted by: tim62b ()
Date: May 07, 2011 12:48PM

The Book was published in 1929 by the American Publishers Corp. of Chicago.It was published for the 1930 annual meeting of the American Bar Association, which i can safely conclude was held in Chicago.I got this information from my local library, which has the book.

AD:

Date: May 07, 2011 03:59PM

Wow,
That's a surprise! Wonder what the connection was?
Hope you enjoyed the book, tim62b. Thanks so much for the missing piece of the puzzle.
Cheers,
Nancy

AD:

Posted by: tim62b ()
Date: May 07, 2011 10:55PM

You're welcome

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact