Old railroad yard on N. St. Louis and Bloomingdale Ave, between Kimball and Drake?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Old railroad yard on N. St. Louis and Bloomingdale Ave, between Kimball and Drake?
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: January 29, 2011 02:50PM

As ususal, during my perusing Historic Aerials.com site, and looking around the old Bloomingdale rail line I noticed a strange set of overpasses in this area between Kimball and Drake ave, and the new apartment buildings there. Looking though the older aerials it looks like there used to be a nice small sized rail yard or something that stuco off the Bloomingdale Line. Does anyone know any history of this particular spot? Driving up St. Louis Ave you go through and area where the overpass was partiall removed, and all that is left are those large concrete pillars on either side, making it a very cool scene. Ive tried looking online for any mention of this oddity, but I have so far come up with nothing!

It's a slow work day for me over here! :D

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old railroad yard on N. St. Louis and Bloomingdale Ave, between Kimball and Drake?
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: January 29, 2011 02:52PM

41.913855,-87.713454

These are the coordinates for the spot if it helps!

AD:

Re: Old railroad yard on N. St. Louis and Bloomingdale Ave, between Kimball and Drake?
Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: January 29, 2011 05:59PM

I've tried to find an answer and I've also come up with zero. there also was some type on yard or something at Damen Ave, they built condos almost on top of the tracks! From what I found Canadian Pacific has those tracks as "out of service" and not abandoned, on some blog I read that their police dept still patrols the right-of-way.

AD:

Posted by: davem60612 ()
Date: July 31, 2011 06:31PM

There were several small yards off of the Bloomingdale line, the one mentioned, one east of California, and one at Damen (Robey) to the south of the line. The Robey yard still has plenty of bits remaining too! A few pasenger stations, I recall 2 or 3, are still evident too.
CP still uses about a mile of the Bloomingdale three days each week to switch thier last industry in the area, and Metra stores some balast cars there most of the time.
About CP police, I have been up and down the right of way for work and pleasure dozens of times and I have never seen the CP police.

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: July 31, 2011 10:25PM

From what I've read the CP police only has 4 or 5 officers in a 3 state area, so the likelihood of you running into them is very slim to say the least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2011 10:28PM by 222psm.

AD:

Posted by: oh4chia ()
Date: January 11, 2012 04:57AM

Was talking with a friend Sunday who showed me the Train Watches Map of Chicago, Supplement to the Guide by John Szwajkart 1987
It had everything that ever was related to trains in Chicago and vicinity.
Here's a link http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Maps/Itlk/itlk_chi_branch.html

AD:

Posted by: oh4chia ()
Date: January 11, 2012 04:58AM

Was talking with a friend Sunday who showed me the Train Watcher's Map of Chicago, Supplement to the Guide by John Szwajkart 1987
It had everything that ever was related to trains in Chicago and vicinity.
Here's a link http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/Maps/Itlk/itlk_chi_branch.html

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: March 23, 2013 01:05AM

Unfortunately the link in the last post won't help, it is all about the
PRR on the far Southside of Chicago. The Bloomingdale was Milwaukee Road property before CP and among other things it was built as a link to their line that crossed Goose Island and ran from Union Station North to Evanston. There were once many light industries and coal yards among other things that took advantage of freight train service to locate along Bloomingdale Avenue and its elevated railooad. As times changed and shipment by railroad shifted to trucks and coal was no longer used for heating, the Bloomingdale line lost its original purposes. The link to the Goose Island line was cut long age when the bridge was removed. So now we have a disused elevated railroad line that may be reborn as a city park and lovely walking path.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: March 24, 2013 05:27PM

That little yard at Kimball was called Elsmere. There were sidings for a couple of industrial customers and a team track.

There was a team track at Robey St. (now called Damen).

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: March 24, 2013 06:29PM

What is a team track?

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: March 24, 2013 08:46PM

Kchi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is a team track?

It's a siding that is open for use by anyone having the railroad delivering freight to it, usually picked up by a wagon hauled by a team of horses, hence the name "team track".

AD:

Date: March 25, 2013 11:03AM

There was a little league field called Churchill Field at Damen, Churchill and Bloomingdale. Is this where the team track was? My understanding is that at one time the elevated track was at street level. Is this where the "team track" was in operation? Otherwise, I can't visualize street level access for wagons at this site.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: March 25, 2013 12:10PM

Kchi Wrote:
> There was a little league field called Churchill
> Field at Damen, Churchill and Bloomingdale. Is
> this where the team track was? My understanding
> is that at one time the elevated track was at
> street level. Is this where the "team track" was
> in operation? Otherwise, I can't visualize street
> level access for wagons at this site.

The park itself was a factory. But kitty corner to it (south side of the tracks, west side of Damen) where a bunch of townhomes now sit, and as far as the Aldi at Leavitt were a couple of yards with ramps down to the street.

AD:

Date: March 26, 2013 11:37AM

Thank You.

South of the tracks is St. Paul where at one time Ludwig drum was located. Next time I am in the area, I will take a look. Probably nothing to see, but it will help me visualize the layout.

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar ()
Date: March 26, 2013 12:49PM

The Milwaukee Road Historical Society did a special issue on Chicago and the chapter on the Bloomingdale line lists every Industry including Team Track users serverd on the line. I didn't see any issues available on their website. It's really a book quality publication so some libraries may have it. Here's a link to their site http://www.mrha.com/

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:12PM

Some back issues available here- https://www.mrha.com/store/category.aspx?Category=39&Name=TMR+Back+Issues can you give info on date of publication?

AD:

Date: March 26, 2013 01:20PM

For those readers who may have missed it. this website did a article on this line.

http://forgottenchicago.com/features/the-bloomingdale-line/

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: March 26, 2013 02:47PM

Kchi Wrote:
> Thank You.
>
> South of the tracks is St. Paul where at one time
> Ludwig drum was located. Next time I am in the
> area, I will take a look. Probably nothing to
> see, but it will help me visualize the layout.

Willow is the first street. St. Paul the next.

On the north side of Willow , across Willow from Ludwig Drum.
It is hard to tell now, because the town home developer extensively regraded the embankment. When I first moved here in the early 80s there was a large grade level storage building at the Hoyne end of the parcel and a ramp up to the tracks. The track may have even been run down to street level back then, but I don't remember.

Check the historic aerials and you can see it.

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar ()
Date: March 27, 2013 11:40PM

Milwaukee Road Historical Association Special Publication #6, The Milwaukee Road in Chicago. by Tom Burke with Art Danz and Ted Pannkoke 2007 Nine pages devoted to the Bloomingdale Line including old ariel photographs and details on industries served.

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: March 28, 2013 12:45AM

I recall taking aluminum cans to a newer Recycling Center in this area back in the '80s.
They were using the raised Track structure as a retaining wall.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact