Julia's Restaurant in Marquette Park

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Julia's Restaurant in Marquette Park
Posted by: cmysli ()
Date: January 21, 2011 09:07PM

Does anyone remember a little Polish/Lithuanian/Bohemian (I'm not sure which one) restaurant in the Marquette Park neighborhood? The name was Julia's. This old lady had the best home cooking, delicious breads, soups, and much more. I remember going there as a little girl in the 1970's.

I would greatly appreciate any pictures.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Julia's Restaurant in Marquette Park
Posted by: coops4 ()
Date: December 06, 2011 09:06PM

I wonder if you are confusing it with the Julia's that was near 45th and Western. It was like an old diner with tables and counter seating. It was Eastern European food. Very tasty....

AD:

Date: December 06, 2011 11:25PM

[b]Yes there was or is one on 45th & western but there was one on lituanian plaza just west of western ave. Lituanian plaza I think was 69th street from Western to California and I think it still exists, the street that is.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: jak378 ()
Date: December 07, 2011 06:51PM

When I was in Chicago last summer I saw that Julia's at 45th and Western is no longer Julias. I don't remember there ever being aJulia's on Lithuania Plaza, but there might have been.

AD:

Posted by: chgocelt ()
Date: January 13, 2012 06:29PM

That sounds familiar. I forgot about a Julia's in Marquette Park. Rich, was it on 69th or 71st Street on south side of street? I think Tulpe was the little restaurante on 69th near the Lithuanian meat and grocery store. And on 71st,there was Narenga's on the NE corner about a block or so east of California. Across the street was the little Lithuanian Deli and restaurant, but you had to kind of go into a side room that only had about 4 small tables for dining in. Let's see how many things people can remember about that little section of town.

AD:

Date: January 13, 2012 08:55PM

[b]Yes you got it. I don't think any of those resturants are there anymore.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle ()
Date: January 15, 2012 04:30PM

The 1960 phone directory shows a Julia's restuarant (owners Julia and Ben Pocius) at 4656 S. Western. There was a Jule's restaurant listed at 814 W. 71st.

The 1967 directory still shows Julia's restaurant, but Jule's is gone

AD:

Posted by: celticjunker1 ()
Date: April 08, 2012 11:03AM

I lived on 71st and Artesian in the 70's and there was absolutely a lithuanian rest. on 71st. called Julia's. It pre-dated many of the other Lith. restaurants because I remember her telling me she was the first one to open on that street. She was closed up and I believe retired by the mid eighties.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact