Schorsch Village Oak Park Ave Stretch photos from 1930s, 40s, 50s?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Schorsch Village Oak Park Ave Stretch photos from 1930s, 40s, 50s?
Posted by: CrazyIvan25 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 12:03AM

Does anyone know of any photos, or seen photos of Oak Park Ave, between Addison and Belmont from the 1930s, 40s and/or 50s? Its a beautiful street on the NW side of Chicago, my neighborhood, and I was always wondering how my street looked like way back when!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Schorsch Village Oak Park Ave Stretch photos from 1930s, 40s, 50s?
Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: November 23, 2010 12:58AM

Welcome to FC!

Will see if I can dig up some historic photos Oak Park Avenue and of Schorsch Village in general as I'm doing some research on other parts of the Dunning area. I grew up in the neighborhood too. Small world!

AD:

Date: November 23, 2010 03:58PM

I don't know how well this image will show up here, so I'll post it 2 different ways, but here is an article from the Chicago Tribune's historical archives. The photo is of the 3200 block of North Rutherford Avenue. I'm still searching for historical photos of Oak Park Avenue.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/shekaago/5201628857/]1939 View Schorsch Village Chicago Tribune Article[/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 05:08PM by shekaago.

AD:

Date: November 24, 2010 08:09PM

Awesome! Thank you for the picture! I hope there ar emore out there. I love Schorsch Village! It is also great to see a fellow Northwest Sider here as well! :)

AD:

Date: November 24, 2010 11:39PM

Thanks, CrazyIvan25! Schorsch Village may not be the most exciting neighborhood in Chicago but I love living there too. I'll keep digging and see if I can find more photos.

AD:

Date: November 28, 2010 04:55PM

Its not easy trying to find them. I usually have no idea where to go to find them, lol! You'd think the internet would make it a little easier!

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue ()
Date: November 30, 2010 09:45PM

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Christmas-Decorations-Chicagoland/dp/0964279924/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

This is an Amazon link to the book "The Best Christmas Decorations in Chicagoland" by Mary Edsey. Mary is a friend of our family. There are two editions of the book.

If you are interested in Schorsch Village, Mary not only obtained photos of the Christmas decorations done back then but she also did interviews with the men who put up those decorations. She goes into the history of how it all came to be. Very interesting piece of Chicago history.

Taking a drive through that neighborhood was such a thrill for us kids back then; especially on a really snowy night.

I know Mary markets the book to all the usual booksellers too. It's a paperback with beautiful photos printed on glossy paper. She has also done interviews on the radio.

AD:

Date: December 01, 2010 08:40PM

great! Thank you for the book titles fleurblue. I'll have to go and check them out at the library. I just took a peek and see they have them available at most location near my house. So I think its off for a trip to the library!

AD:

Date: January 04, 2011 06:22PM

Thank you, fleurblue! What a wonderful book!

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue ()
Date: January 04, 2011 09:57PM

You're welcome, shekaago. My brother spoke with Mary over the holidays. She was super busy with her Christmas tours.

AD:

Posted by: Artista ()
Date: January 13, 2011 03:30PM

This was taken at School st and Nordica in 2009

AD:

Posted by: caroljakobs ()
Date: January 25, 2011 05:39PM

Had my 8th grade graduation party their back in 78!!!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact