Possible New Airport For Chicago 1940's-50's

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Possible New Airport For Chicago 1940's-50's
Posted by: Chipast ()
Date: October 13, 2010 12:10AM

If i'm not mistaking. Was there a plan to have an airport just outside of Downtown Chicago, On the near NW side?. During the late 1940's-early 1950's. But O'Hare became the prime spot inevitably?. Was there any known protests or was it just some plan they threw around?. I was looking at some old newspaper slides long time ago.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Possible New Airport For Chicago 1940's-50's
Posted by: Business7007 ()
Date: April 13, 2013 12:48AM

Actually the first Mayor Daley was pushing a plan in the 60s for an artificial island in Lake Michigan for a third major Chicago airport. Here is an item from a blog that I recently found that tells the story.

Mayor Richard J. Daley, the current mayor's late father, tried to get such a scheme going several times in the 1960s. It never took off (ha ha) for a number of reasons. Chief among them is that building in Lake Michigan is like building in the North Atlantic, and a structure large enough to hold an airport would have been incredibly expensive. But even before eco-awareness hit there was a lot of resistance to the idea of destroying one of Chicago's primary assets, the view of Lake Michigan, with a manmade structure. Once the EPA came into being and environmental impact statements were required there was no way such a project would ever occur.

AD:

Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:51PM

The 1948 [i]Comprehensive Study Relating To Aeronautical Facilities for Metropolitan Area of Chicago Projected to 1970[/i] looks at only the Douglas site (that became O'Hare), Municipal Airport (now Midway), and Glenview Naval Air Station for major facilities.

"Other possible sites" considered but rejected as impractical in the study are one in Clearing, very close to Midway; a Lake Calumet site; and a Lake Michigan site east of the Gold Coast.

AD:

Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 03, 2013 12:43PM

I only know about the Lake Calumet site...all that vacant land looks so inviting on a map...the city built an incinerator on the proposed Lake cal airport site. Its no the Police Auto impound area.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 ()
Date: May 06, 2013 03:52AM

Daley the first wanted to close Midway, and build the "Airport in the Lake". After he died, then Bilandic and Byrne helped get MDW back to business.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact