Question about architect

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Question about architect
Posted by: ChicagoGeek ()
Date: August 24, 2010 02:11AM

Anyone heard of or know anything about architect Howard Putnam Sturges? In 1911, his architectural firm was listed at 605 in the Railway Exchange Building. Do any of his buildings survive? Nothing comes up in an internet search.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Question about architect
Posted by: Serhii ()
Date: August 24, 2010 07:33PM

He designed a De Met lunch counter at 7 W. Randolph in 1923. That's all I could find in a cursory search.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: August 24, 2010 11:29PM

These 3 came up when I did a search in the Chgo History Museum Building Permit Index:

http://www.chsmedia.org/househistory/1898-1912permits/architect_response.asp

I did not check the addresses to see if these buildings are still standing though.

Beth

AD:

Posted by: ChicagoGeek ()
Date: August 30, 2010 03:07AM

Thanks for that info, especially the addresses from the building permit index. I know for a fact that he did a few houses in the western suburbs. I was interested to know of anything else he might have worked on.

AD:

Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: September 01, 2010 09:03PM

I just re-read your original message and saw the Railway Exchange Building. I used to work in that building - the Santa Fe Building! Loved it there - the building anyway, my job not so much. Even the elevators were exciting to look at - not just a boring rectangle of metal. That's where Daniel Burnham's Offices were as I'm sure you know. My office was on the 4th floor . It was a scrap metal hauling company, but we utilized the railroads. I thought that was cool that it was at least remotely related to railroads since it was the Santa Fe Bldg.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact