vintage photos of logan square / avondale

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
vintage photos of logan square / avondale
Posted by: jasontinkey ()
Date: March 26, 2010 02:29PM

Hello, I'm hoping that somebody can help me with a project I am working on...I need to find pre-1960 photos (preferably copyright-free) of Fullerton Avenue between Kedzie & Pulaski and of the intersection at Belmont & Kimball. I've searched all over the internet and found some very good online image resources, but have not been able to track down shots of these specific areas. I am working on an urban planning project and would like to use the images to illustrate how the built environment has changed over the past few decades. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Tinkey, Logan Square
http://theplannersdreamgonewrong.blogspot.com

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: vintage photos of logan square / avondale
Posted by: fleurblue ()
Date: March 27, 2010 02:26AM

On the Northeast side of the Belmont/Kimball intersection there was a very large printing company, I.S. Berlin Press. I can't find any references on the net but I do remember it took quite a while to demolish the place as it was built for the weight of the printing machines. The building came right up to the sidewalks on both streets, as I recall.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 06:20AM

IS Berlin took up the entire area from the Kennedy to Kimball along Belmont north to where the Kennedy exists now. Remember it well, HUGE plant with blue neon IS BERLIN PRESS emblazoned across Belmont. Check out historicaerials.com for overhead view. Also as a footnote Marshall Berlin was suspected and aquitted of tossing his galpal out of the 90something floor of the Hancock bldg. in the early seventies

AD:

Posted by: shekaago ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:34PM

Trolleybuses.net has so many awesome images which reveal lots of historic signs and long-gone places in the backgrounds of the bus photos. Read this post and remembered seeing a couple of photos of IS Berlin Press on it somewhere in the archives of the trolleybuses.net site. Here is one...

[url=http://www.trolleybuses.net/chi/htm/usa_h_chi_mh_9616_rt77belmontkimball_19700426_jt.htm]I. S. Berlin[/url]

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: January 03, 2013 02:53PM

murphman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IS Berlin took up the entire area from the Kennedy
> to Kimball along Belmont north to where the
> Kennedy exists now. Remember it well, HUGE plant
> with blue neon IS BERLIN PRESS emblazoned across
> Belmont. Check out historicaerials.com for
> overhead view. Also as a footnote Marshall Berlin
> was suspected and aquitted of tossing his galpal
> out of the 90something floor of the Hancock bldg.
> in the early seventies

According to Marshall she jumped. As I recall, the authorities questioned how the young woman was able to jump against and shatter the thermopane glass and fall to her death. Glass that was rated to withstand the high wind forces it would be subjected to on a sky-scraper, yet Mr. Berlin walked. The city that works, if you know a guy who knows a guy.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact