Anyone familiar with the 'Russel Hupp dance studio' which was above Tiffin theater?
Anyone familiar with the 'Russel Hupp dance studio' which was above Tiffin theater?
Posted by: Artista ()
Date: March 10, 2010 10:45AM

My landlady who is now in her 80s had told me of this dance studio and as a young girl she attended. There was a dance troop as well under the supervision of a Mrs. Gertrude Avery. I am quite familiar with Tiffin being that i grew up just a few blocks away. Saturday matinees were common place of course. I had heard of this dance class before. I am posing this question for my landlady. Im sure she would be thrilled to hear of any experiences from this site. Thanks

Re: Anyone familiar with the 'Russel Hupp dance studio' which was above Tiffin theater?
Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: March 10, 2010 07:44PM

this is the closest thing i could find, from the "Cinema Treasures" website:

[i]I took dancing lessons in the studio above the Tiffin in 1953 at Mrs Marches' Dance Studio--Tap, Ballet and Acrobatic. Her son played the piano for the classes, and later went on to be a stage actor in musicals.[/i]

Re: Anyone familiar with the 'Russel Hupp dance studio' which was above Tiffin theater?
Posted by: Artista ()
Date: March 11, 2010 03:29AM

Oh my gosh Crow' I had frequented that cool site many a time and especially concerning the Tiffin but i had forgotten all about it,,lol. (senior moment????) Thanks Crow', i will use that bit of info to jog her memory a bit further. Gladys was very young when she attended (prior to the 50s) so it may have changed hands over a period of time.

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: December 12, 2011 05:26PM

For many years, our doctor had his offices over the Tiffin Theater building at 4051 N. North Avenue. I remember going up a very long stairway and turning to the left. His offices covered most of the east end of the corridor, but I believe there was one other office on his side of the stairway. In as much as these days were the days before appointments, we sometimes had to wait quite a while to see the doctor, and as kids we would pace the corridor. I remember a dentist, a Dr. Link, being on the other end of the corridor, but I do not remember any dance studio. We would have been going to these offices from the 1950's through maybe the 1970's when Dr. Jacobs moved his offices to Oak Park.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact