old Com Ed payment centers

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
old Com Ed payment centers
Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: February 07, 2010 05:09AM

i'm looking for info about the locations of two old Com Ed payment centers, which i'm not sure are operational any longer. the first was either off Pulaski or Kedzie in the 45th-50th street range, and was situated on a sidestreet just west of the main street. i remember this one from my childhood because of my mother dragging me along with her in the early morning hours to pay a bill. they utilized a system where a red or green light would go on over the lane where the next "teller" was available.

the second one was on the north side somewhere off diversey or belmont, maybe around the avondale area? it was quite large and set back from the street a way. again, they used the "lane light" system. i would go there after work in the early 90's to pay bills. i think i remember going past the Lathrop homes somewhere along the way. (??)

these were actual edison offices, not currency exchanges or anything. i'm way out in the sticks now so i don't know if they even do that any more.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: old Com Ed payment centers
Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: February 07, 2010 01:58PM

the only one that I can think of would be the one at 76th and Lawndale which is just East of Pulaski. That was kind of a mini Com Ed office where we could pay our bills, pick up light bulbs and take care of other problems with our Com Ed service.
There is a payment center right on Kedzie on the west side of the street in that vicinity of 45-50th, but I think it was an Illinois Bell building. Anybody confirm that?

AD:

Posted by: crowamonghens ()
Date: February 07, 2010 04:22PM

bwalsh, yeah i remember the lawndale location too, definitely. that kedzie location did have a "phone co" look to the building (i should know, i worked for ma bell).

AD:

Posted by: zorchvalve ()
Date: October 31, 2011 09:09PM

CrowAmongHens, For awhile ther was a payment center on the northeast corner of north ave. and orchard. We used to take our burned out lightbulbs there for replacement.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi ()
Date: November 01, 2011 12:58PM

3315 N. Marshfield
1520 . Milwaukee
4839 Irving Park Road
122 S. Michigan
4201 W. Madison
846 W. 63rd
4829 S. Ashland
45 E. Pershing Road
11257 S. Michigan

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact