Old settler relative, missed opportunity.

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Old settler relative, missed opportunity.
Posted by: twaflyer1 ()
Date: July 17, 2015 06:49PM

Hello, Names are forgotten, but I learned that an old settler bought a Log Cabin from an American Indian way back in the Early 1800s.. The Cabin was located in the vicinity of Springfield, (Maybe Hamlin,) and 1 block South of Foster Avenue, right near the Northwest corner! My curiosity prompted me to ask around a bit until I talked to an old timer back in the 1980s, who lived in the area all his life! Anyway he said yes, he knew something about it...AND that a female relative of the Log Cabin buyer lived right next door to him, one block East of Pulaski and 1 block North of Lawrence, (Northwest corner)! He was kind enough to give me her phone number which I called very soon thereafter! But the Woman was in an extremely bad mood that day, and thought I was going to make money off her knowledge or something, and kept all those great stories to herself! Because she was very rude, I just said; "Just forget about it" and hung up! I wish I could remember her last name, but it was a prominent one, as this old Log Cabin buyer worked the area of many years! If it comes back to me, I will post it! Hopefully, some of those old-settler stories were preserved somewhere where the public can have access to them! Tom..

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old settler relative, missed opportunity.
Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: July 17, 2015 10:44PM

OK, I'll take a wild stab at it. Was the name Beaubien? I always thought Beaubien settled much further south than you describe, but then again there is a Beaubien Elementary school at 5025 N. Laramie.

AD:

Re: Old settler relative, missed opportunity.
Posted by: twaflyer1 ()
Date: July 27, 2015 09:15PM

No, it wasn't Beaubien! It might come to me one day! In my short conversation with the woman, I didn't even get a chance to verify her last name! But the family was well known in the Lawrence and Pulaski avenue area! But she did indicate that I was talking to that old settler's relative!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact