kimball and avondale chemical plant

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
kimball and avondale chemical plant
Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: April 16, 2015 04:23PM

Anybody know the name of the chemical plant that blew up many years ago on the corner of Kimball ave. and Avondale?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: kimball and avondale chemical plant
Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: April 18, 2015 02:42PM

I don't know if Avondale runs through due to the Kennedy, but checking my 1971 reverse directory I noted that at 3445 N. Kimball Emcolite Div. of Amerace Esna Corp., at 3465 Agastat Div. of Amerace Esna Corp.,and at 3500 Velsicol Chemical Corp. Process Development Div. If this happened earlier suggest you check the 1929 Polk's directory at the CHS website.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: April 18, 2015 04:13PM

It took some digging, but it was the Van Schaack Bros Chemical plant at 3430 W Henderson.

A good synopsis is here:
[url=http://www.fsi.illinois.edu/content/library/iflodd/search/Firefighter.cfm?ID=348]Fire Service Institute[/url]
It's the record of the death of one of the firemen.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: April 19, 2015 12:43PM

Thanks much on that PK. Van Scchaack rings a bell now.As kids, we used to walk past that spooky place and climb on the "chemical hills" on the west side of the old buildings. Kids from every neighborhood around there were climbing over those smelly hills. They were about 20 or 30 feet high with wood beams sticking out in layers. Looked like melted buildings. When we got home, Ma knew exactly where we were from the smell on our clothes.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact