134 Johnston Avenue Current Location

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
134 Johnston Avenue Current Location
Posted by: PHILC ()
Date: April 01, 2015 04:31PM

A relative is shown as living at 134 Johnston Ave in Chicago in 1888. After looking through the street name change information and the 1909 address change info I am a little confused. Johnston is shown as becoming Lyndale, but the address of 134 does not appear in the renumbering system, only 132 and 136 do.

Does anyone have an idea as to where this address may now be located?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 134 Johnston Avenue Current Location
Posted by: Mr Downtown ()
Date: April 02, 2015 12:06PM

The 1896 Sanborn's map shows 134 Johnston [b]Ave.[/b] as a vacant lot (south side of Lyndale, third lot west of Sacramento Ave.)

There also was a Johnston [b]St.,[/b] now Marshfield Ave.

AD:

Date: April 02, 2015 01:43PM

Thank you very much, may be incorrect in the city directory. I will have to look for other references to this address to see if it is listed differently elsewhere.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: April 02, 2015 02:19PM

Mr Downtown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1896 Sanborn's map shows 134 Johnston Ave. as
> a vacant lot (south side of Lyndale, third lot
> west of Sacramento Ave.)
>
> There also was a Johnston St., now Marshfield
> Ave.
>
>

Also realize that street numbering was a little flexible back then.
I researched a parcel on Le Moyne for a presentation to the Landmark commission.

They were two lots under common ownership since it left the hands of D.S. Lee's widow.

While they had the same owner and only one house, it was listed as #74 in the 1885 and on the Robinson's atlas,then as #86 in the 1890 directory, then as 84 in the 1900 directory.

AD:

Date: April 04, 2015 01:39PM

Thank you also for your response. It would be a lot simpler if people in the 19th century didn't make any mistakes, so that looking back at their time could be done more easily and accurately. But I suspect I am making it just as difficult for someone in the 22nd century who may be looking at what I've done in the time I've had.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact