COMISKEY PARK

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
COMISKEY PARK
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: March 18, 2015 11:08PM

I never here of anyone talking about the old Comiskey Park. Talk about the good old days. Their slogan was the Good Guys wear black. I grew up when Nellie Fox, lou Apprecho were the great players. When they tore down the park I made sure to get a rememberance brick. I had my wifes name posted on the score board for her birthday for all 40,ooo fans to see. Also, back in the 80's Golden Box seats were only $10.50

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: COMISKEY PARK
Date: March 18, 2015 11:50PM

[b]Agree.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: 222psm ()
Date: March 19, 2015 09:38AM

I went to see a few games back in the early 80's even though I am a Cubs fan ;) great old park, sad to see it go.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: March 19, 2015 11:20PM

That was a great ball park. I was there alot in late 1980's. I keep hearing that song in my head by Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7pPTzetJPg

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: March 22, 2015 03:28AM

So many memories of old Comiskey Park and in early years going with my dad. Later years going with cousins and other family. We usually liked to go too night games. Sometimes on Fridays when they had twinight double headers. the 2nd game may of ended after midnight. I remember the beer garden out in left field where you can sit right behind the screen by the left fielder. I also will never forget the cat walk out by the center field score board which attached the left and right field upper deck seats. In the 1970's and early 80's the ballpark was always alive with excitement. I remember before the game going to Mcduddy's tavern across the street which had old pictures of the Sox and Babe Ruth etc. Many Chicagoans now relate Harry Carry to the Cubs. But Harry spent many years in the broadcast booth with Jimmy Piersall. It was always fun listening to them on TV. The old ballpark always smelled like stale beer and was filled with smoke settling over the park. I remember well the South Side Hitmen and the Winning Ugly team of 1983. Rooftop home runs by Kittle and Luzinski. Back then it was always easy to get autographs after the game when players headed to their cars.

AD:

Date: March 22, 2015 12:56PM

I knew Ron Kittle personally. He helped with our youth group at church in Lakes of the Four Seasons. My wife still has his auotgraph and game card #42.
He was good people! Do you remember the old cattle ramps for the fans to enter and exit the park. Mooooo!

AD:

Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: March 22, 2015 07:16PM

Have you ever stepped on the home plate within the Cellular Field parking lot?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2015 11:01PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Wyoming Ed ()
Date: March 22, 2015 07:45PM

My memories of Comiskey go back to the very early 60's when i went to my first game with my dad. It was a day game on a Saturday against the hated Yankee's with Mantle, Maris, Berra and the rest of their greats. That day our boys couldn't compete in the run department, but great pitching kept it close as usual. Don't remember who was on the mound, likely Peters, Horlen or John. Those guys must have been the greatest collection of hard luck pitchers of all time, with incredibly low ERA's and still losing many games where the Sox just couldn't score even one run.

The South Side Hit Men era certainly changed all that. Fewer nail biters and more blow outs. Loved listening to Harry and Jimmy in the booth. When things got slow, Jimmy would remark on some "MIss America" in the crowd. Those guys where a far cry from Bob Elson (The Commander) and Milo Hamilton on radio and WGN's collection of Brickhouse, et al on TV in the earlier era.

Lot's of great times.

AD:

Date: April 20, 2015 01:18AM

TO be at Comiskey and see the White Sox play the Yankees as a kid, with my Dad, that was living! Saw Whitey Ford, Minnie Minoso, and Kurt Wilhelm (spelling?). We lost the game, but we had a great time, always in the left field bleachers. Always enjoyed being there, even to take my two brothers on the bus down there, saving up the big bucks for good seats and lots of popcorn and soda. Good times.

AD:

Posted by: Longford ()
Date: April 20, 2015 01:55AM

Sox fans ... over a certain age ... always talk about Comiskey Park. I worked as an Andy Frain usher at games, one or two years.

AD:

Date: April 20, 2015 02:21PM

Whitey Ford and Minnie Minoso were among the greats along with Nellie Fox and Louie Apprecho. Andy Frain ushers were everywhere back then, sports, auto shows etc.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F ()
Date: April 20, 2015 09:37PM

I'll take the old park over the new one any day of the year, sure you had a few posts to deal with, but the upper deck view was so much better than those oh so high up seats they have now. As the joke goes, I got up for a beer in the upper deck and when I came back a mountain goat was in my seat.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 20, 2015 09:39PM

I agree Eric! Remember disco demolition night?

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: May 01, 2015 10:33PM

Comiskey Park in the early 1970's had artificial turf in the infield and grass in the outfield.

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: May 16, 2015 04:51PM

I grew up on the North Side, Wrigley Field was in walking distance so I went to far more Cubs games than Sox games. In the '50s and '60s, the Sox were were really considered to be the "classier" team in town, and playing the great Yankee teams of the '50s and '60s probably helped that image. Plus, winning the pennant in 1959 and being a contender made good seats hard to come by, so the games I saw then were in the back of the grandstands.
Yet, the old park had a charm that the new park doesn't have. It looked a lot bigger than Wrigley and the Sox teams had decent players and good pitching. (Off topic, every Sox pitcher back then had a killer sinking fastball, IIRC Ray Berres was the pitching coach and seems like forgotten man now. I only wish the Cubs would have stolen him, but such is life.)
I always thought that Comiskey was better designed than Wrigley, having convenient restrooms that were entertaining in their own right: there were 2 urinal troughs in each mens' room, one installed lower than the other and over which there was a sign that said, "For Future Sox Players Only."
Bill Veeck seems to be almost forgotten man also, making the Sox contenders in the '50s and then rescuing them from relocation in the '70s; he was enormously entertaining and may he rest in peace.
Old Comiskey may be gone but not forgotten.

AD:

Date: January 13, 2016 01:00AM

Talking about Wrigley Field being one of the great old parks there was a triple AAA ball club down in Evansville Indiana called the Otters and they play at an old field called Bosse Field. It was smaller than Wrigley Field, however, it was setup almost the same. You may have seen it when in 1992 they filmed the movie "A league of their own" a 1943 womans team. The cast included Tom Hanks, Madonna, Geena Davis, Jon lovitz, Rosie O'Donnell.

I lived down there for 15 years after being transfered from American Can Chicago Plant. Another great old park. Very interesting the way they get the fans to come watch their games. many giveaways, fan participation , horse racing with cardboard horses, ice cream and t shirt thrown into the stands.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:59PM

AD:

Date: January 13, 2016 11:51PM

I still have a brick from Comiskey Park when they tore it down. My buddy was a cop and did me afavor. I'm a brick collector.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact