Steamship at Reid Murdoch Building
Steamship at Reid Murdoch Building
Posted by: jamessolon ()
Date: March 15, 2015 11:59PM

I know the steamer SS South American used to dock at this location along side the Reid Murdoch building, but I don't think this is the South American because it only has one funnel. Can anyone identify this ship?

Re: Steamship at Reid Murdoch Building
Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: March 16, 2015 12:13AM

Can't identify the ship, but when the City of Chicago used to own it I worked there, as a traffic engineer.

Any idea of the date/age of the picture? It must be old enough that the warehouse west of the Reid-Murdoch building was still there, and the Lasalle Street bridge hadn't been built yet, which might put it in the early 20's, perhaps?

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: March 16, 2015 02:12AM

I'd bet either the [i]North American[/i] or the [i]South American[/i]. History on both vessels say that each received a second stack ca. 1923-25 during conversion to oil-fired boilers. The [i]Alabama[/i] only had one stack but it looks significantly different than the one in the photo.

Date: March 16, 2015 04:07PM

WayOut, Since it was retrofitted with a 2nd funnel it's probably the South American. The porthole configuration is similar to the SA. NA has a lot of rectangular portholes

Date: March 16, 2015 04:15PM

Jeff, I work in RMC now in an architect's office. We've been here since 2007, & moved from 7th floor west to 5th floor west last year. What a fabulous location on the river!

The landlord has decorated with old photos from (I think) the Daily News archives. One taken from the street level walkway shows the South American tied up.

I, along with most other people my age who drove in Chicago, remember Traffic Court here prior to the mid-'80's. Since you've been gone an 8th floor addition was added and the clock tower has been renovated to provide code compliant rentable space on all 4 floors.

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner ()
Date: March 16, 2015 05:40PM

jamessolon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeff, I work in RMC now in an architect's office.
> We've been here since 2007, & moved from 7th floor
> west to 5th floor west last year. What a fabulous
> location on the river!
>
> The landlord has decorated with old photos from (I
> think) the Daily News archives. One taken from
> the street level walkway shows the South American
> tied up.
>
> I, along with most other people my age who drove
> in Chicago, remember Traffic Court here prior to
> the mid-'80's. Since you've been gone an 8th
> floor addition was added and the clock tower has
> been renovated to provide code compliant rentable
> space on all 4 floors.

I always felt that the City should have booted Traffic Court, and done a staged rehab of the building. I never liked 30 N. Lasalle (too close to City Hall), and was not crazy about our brief sojurn of working for OEMC under the Traffic Management Authority. CDOT moved out of 320 N. Clark in early 1995. I retired in 2010.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact