Southside street vendors

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Southside street vendors
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 21, 2015 11:58PM

Does anyone remember the following street vendors back in the 50's

1) The old man with his horse & wagon that drove through the alleys calling out for rags & iron.
2) The photographerand his pony that walked the strret looking for kids to take their picture. Can't remember the cost, however, my wife and I still have our pictures.
3) The old truck that sold produce in the neighborhood.
4) Milk delivery service.
5) Laundry pick up and delivery service.
6) Burkhardt soda delivery.
7) The man that came around with his push cart grinding wheel to sharpen knives.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Southside street vendors
Date: February 23, 2015 12:15AM

[b]Yes I remember it all. I lived at 50th & May in the early 40's then across from Cornell park from then on in the 50's then to Brighton Park in the 60's. A lot of changes.[/b]

AD:

Date: March 09, 2015 10:28AM

Yes, on the southwest side we had the old man with rags for sale, and we also had the old man with the grinding wheel to sharpen scissors, knives. Seemed like once the snow went away, this was a sign of spring to see him in the middle of the street moving briskly and calling out from side to side each row of houses for attention, it did not happen after the late 1950's though. Thanks for the memories!

AD:

Posted by: Longford ()
Date: March 09, 2015 07:31PM

Yes, along the corridor of 69th St. between Ada St. and Ashland Avenue, where we lived in several apartments and also with my grandmother at 69th & Justine ... I remember, in the 1950s and early-1960s, a 'rag man', a man who sold vegetables from his truck (oftentimes from an alley location), the Home Juice delivery, the Pine Crest Dairy milk man, a knife sharpener, someone selling soda pop (don't recall the brand) and also the guy who sold hot dogs most nights from his cart at 69th & Justine St. across from the fire house.

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: March 25, 2015 09:28PM

No one mentioned the the guy on a bike with the hot ice freezer selling ice cream bars, creamsciles,push ups and popsciles. If he had a good business he may have had a Cushman scooter to ride. Later in years there was the Good Humor Man.

AD:

Posted by: geffertz ()
Date: April 02, 2015 09:22PM

In my neighborhood on the southwest side, they came down the alleys. I also remember a produce vendor, driving slowly along, calling out "Straaaaw-Berrieeees".

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact