16 INCH SOFTBALL

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
16 INCH SOFTBALL
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 13, 2015 11:06PM

Anyone remember the good old windy city 16 in softball games and parks? I started playing in the 50's at Oakley Playground league. We traveled to different playground parks every week. Hermitage, Kostner then Strawhacker,Lawler, Murray,Hale. In 1956 Oakley Playground we took third in the city. Our St Michaels League we usually played at Cornell 58 & 59 we took first place. As we got older we played all over. Kelly,Davis,Pasteur, West Lawn, Gage , Ogden, Humboldt. Our Industrial League from American Can we played at Gage Park in the 70's Champs in 72,73,74,and then onto Grant park for the City Champs third place in 72. My brother Roger played everywhere and every park with many good players.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 16 INCH SOFTBALL
Date: February 16, 2015 05:40PM

Another park that Oakley Playground traveled to in the 50's was Destiney Manor Playground. It was located in an unlikely spot that very few knew that it existed. It was in the middle of a neighborhood around 52nd and Levitt. There were no signs on Damen pointing to this park. Any Back of the Yarders know about this park?

AD:

Date: February 16, 2015 07:44PM

[b]Im checking.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: gman ()
Date: February 16, 2015 07:54PM

Still a bunch of active leagues around:

http://www.16inchsoftballchicago.com/

AD:

Date: February 16, 2015 08:20PM

Anyone growing up in the yards would probably know Eddie Surma. He probably be in his 80's now, however, he was a great softball player. He would play 2 games a day and maybe 5 games over the weekend on many teams. He was also known as "Champ". He played at Cornell Park, Gage Park, Kelly, Grant Park, 47th Damen or anywhere there was a league. I'm glad that 16in.is still around. When I show my neighbors in Indiana my old 16in. Clinchers when I lived in the yards and played in Chicago they say what is that. They never seen such a large and hard ball. I'm 70 now. That was the good old days.

AD:

Date: February 16, 2015 10:02PM

SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another park that Oakley Playground traveled to in
> the 50's was Destiney Manor Playground. It was
> located in an unlikely spot that very few knew
> that it existed. It was in the middle of a
> neighborhood around 52nd and Levitt. There were no
> signs on Damen pointing to this park. Any Back of
> the Yarders know about this park?

That field came in sometimes in the 50's. I used to deliver the Back of the yards Journal in that area in the 40's and it was all empty at that time. There are now homes all over there. I was like an empty prairie. There was also a small candy store on the south west corner in thet area. Remember anyone?

AD:

Date: February 17, 2015 12:03AM

Rich,
You have a good memory. I don't remember the candy store, however,I remember all the homes that surrounded the park. I too delivered the Journal around Oakley for a friend of mine.

AD:

Posted by: Cragin Spring ()
Date: February 17, 2015 02:20AM

Former White Sox pitcher now deceased pitcher Kevin Hickey played 16 inch softball for the Bobcats. He was spotted by recruits playing softball. He had a tryout with the Sox and signed for minor league deal. Later on he made it to the big leagues.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson ()
Date: February 18, 2015 12:00PM

RASTER SCHOOL 70TH WOOD, HARPER HIGH SCHOOL 6520 S WOOD. 16 INCH SOFTBALL MONEY GAMES 1950s EARLY 60s..PRE LOAFERS ERA.

AD:

Date: March 17, 2015 12:03AM

Kelly Park had Big money games.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker ()
Date: April 16, 2015 06:16PM

As kids we watched them play every night at Addison Park (athletic field) When i was drafted in the Army, i took a 16" that was always in my car down to fort Sill Oklahoma and tried to get a few guys to play. Nobody outside of the Chicago guys ever saw one before.
Geo.

AD:

Date: April 16, 2015 11:41PM

I now live in the Indy area and they say what kind of ball? I still have a few balls from my play days of the 60's 70's

AD:

Posted by: Diogenes9561 ()
Date: April 18, 2015 08:54AM

I have many good memories playing 16 inch softball, played at Revere Park, California Park (the fields are gone, covered by the McFetridge center), Horner Park, Portage Park, Mather, Kells and others that I can't recall these many years later.
I also worked at the Victor-Comptometer plant a few summers and played in the intraplant league they had; good memories, good friends, good times.
But, as I got older with a wife, kids, and responsibilites, softball got pushed into the background along with playground basketball.
I moved to Florida in '84 and played what they call softball here, the 12 inch version where you use (shudder) gloves in the field, but it just wasn't the same. There seems to be something about a warm Chicago evening, playing 16 inch softball, having a few beers after the game with the team, and doing it all over again a few days later, to be repeated until fall and the leagues ended. Again, good times and good memories.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 18, 2015 05:17PM

Merrimac Park where I lived by had a lot of softball leagues back in the 70's.

AD:

Date: April 18, 2015 11:02PM

All the Chicago Playgrounds in the 50's had 16 or 14in softball teams. Those clinchers were hard until it was batted around for a few games.

AD:

Posted by: Tim ()
Date: April 28, 2015 10:37AM

Aside from playing in the street in front of our house, there were always games to watch at Helen Pierce (grammar) school. I play softball 4-5 times a week now, but living in San Diego it's not with 16" balls and wood bats. Every once in a while I'll bring a Clincher to a game in hopes of spurring some interest. No luck yet.

AD:

Date: May 05, 2015 12:38AM

Tim,

Take the Clincher and throw it far up in the air and see how your buddies catch the ball. With their hands or a belly catch? Or throw a line drive at them to show them how hard a Clincher feels, if you have a new ball. It would be fun to see their reaction.

AD:

Date: May 07, 2015 10:37AM

I'll give it a try this Saturday. Will advise.

AD:

Date: May 08, 2015 01:11AM

Tim,

Better yet, pitch them a bloober and see if they can even hit the ball. There was alot of good pitchers back in my days. Many low scoring games because of our pitchers.

AD:

Posted by: omals ()
Date: May 11, 2015 01:44AM

16 inch softball was played at a very unusual place in the 70's. There were a few ex Chicagoans at my High School in Co. Mayo Ireland. The Irish took to the game well. There were some who could catch a liner with one hand. It was all the Hurling they had played.

AD:

Date: May 15, 2015 11:56PM

Tim in San Diego. How did it go Saturday? Anyone tough enough to try the 16in. LOL

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile ()
Date: May 17, 2015 01:30PM

we played 16" softball ,for gym class, St Marys of Mt Carmel, 67th. Hermitage. If I remember,boys only,the girls had their own activities. We never realized that it was a Chicago sport. One night we were playing softball,in the alley between Hermitage and Palania. My brother pulled one foul,over a garage,"Clang" busted window! We started to run for cover,but then realized we had written, our name one the ball,with a marker.We always bring a 16" ball to the family picnic, it sure to be a home run.

AD:

Date: May 19, 2015 01:07AM

SWEDE, unfortunately we were rained out (yes, it occasionally happens in San Diego) last Saturday. Will try again next.

AD:

Posted by: MollyGo ()
Date: May 20, 2015 09:57PM

My father was a deaf-mute who died in '70 but just before that, he and his deaf friend, Gus, scorekeepers for the Bobcats at a park near Lake Michigan on the northside of Chgo...maybe at Foster or more north? Does anyone remember them? My dad loved the game but because of his handicap could not engage in many sports.

AD:

Date: May 22, 2015 05:44PM

Perhaps my memory I'd failing, but I do not recall any softball fields within eyeshot of the lake from Foster north.

AD:

Date: May 22, 2015 09:24PM

Maybe Mollygo is talking about Grant Park. I played there for several years for our Industrial Championship. I really don't know if they had any fields further North that was near the lake.

AD:

Date: June 02, 2015 11:54PM

Tim in San Diego: What happen with your effort to get your teammates to try a clincher?

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:27PM

I remember playing in leagues in Harrison Park in the 60's and 70's and Piotrowski Park in the 70's. I also played in a league in Bogan Park in the late 1970's and Margate in the 80's.In the 60's and 70's even many of the street gangs fielded teams in the park leagues.

AD:

Date: July 21, 2015 11:45PM

Many of the street gangs in the 50's 60's in the Back of the Yards started out playing 16in.softball. At that time, the gangs started out as SAC clubs Social Athletic Clubs. a lot of good players came from our parks. I grew up at Oakley Playground and traveled/played ball in many southside parks in different leagues. Cornell, Gage Park and playgounds like Hermitage, Kostener, Strwhacker, Destiney Manor and many North and East side playgrounds. We took third in the city back in 56.

AD:

Posted by: mogee ()
Date: July 27, 2015 05:49PM

In the 60's we use to play against other neighborhoods for a case of beer. We usually played at Damen Field on 47th st or Sherman Park.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact