SS. Cyril & Methodius.

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
SS. Cyril & Methodius.
Date: January 21, 2015 10:00PM

[b]Anybody fron st cyrils @ 50th & Hermitage?[/b]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: SS. Cyril & Methodius.
Posted by: Eric F ()
Date: January 22, 2015 01:05AM

No, but I'm a member of the church across the street, i,e, Nativity BVM.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac ()
Date: January 22, 2015 02:49AM

A church across the street from another church? Let me guess: Ss. Cyril & Methodius is Orthodox (or Eastern rite) and Nativity BVM is Roman Catholic.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 11:01AM

SS Cyril & Methodius was a Roman Catholic parish founded by Czechs. Nativity, which is now is Palos Park, is Eastern Rite Catholic founded by Ukrainians.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 01:38PM

[b]It was orthadox when I attended st Cyrils in the early 50's. We went ther when we visited churches I think on holy thursday[/b]

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 05:50PM

It was never Orthodox. It was Ukrainian Catholic, which in appearance is quite similar to the Orthodox. When I was a kid I too thought it was Russian Orthodox.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 10:51PM

[b]OK GOT IT![/b]

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:24PM

What was the church on 51st right before Ashland? Wasn't that a Orthdox church. It had two cross bars on the cross. Ther was a Greek Orthdox church probably on Hoyne and 49th.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 11:54PM

There was an Orthodox Church on 44th-Paulina across the street from Davis Square and it's still standing though no longer Orthodox, and a Byzantine Catholic Church on 49th-Seeley. The only church near 51st-Ashland was St Martini Lutheran.

AD:

Date: January 23, 2015 12:22PM

Eric, Your right it was St Martini. I thought about after I left the note. Also, the church on 49th and Hoyne was a Russian Ortodox church and not a Greek Orthodox. A neighbor of ours was Russian and that was his church.

AD:

Date: January 23, 2015 06:46PM

That was St Mary at 49th-Seeley. They were Byzantine Catholic, which was also called Greek Catholic at one time as well. The parish was made up of Ruthenians or Rusyns (either is correct) The building was sold in the 90's and they merged with a parish from Joliet and are now Annunciation in Homer Glen. Once again, people often conclude that Eastern Rite Catholics are Orthodox because of the many similarities in there worship.

AD:

Date: January 23, 2015 06:49PM

Almost forgot http://lakemichiganrusyns.blogspot.com/2010/05/carpatho-rusyn-old-country.html

AD:

Date: February 20, 2015 12:48AM

SS. Cyril & Methodius.

Posted by: Richard Stachowski ()

Date: January 21, 2015 07:00PM

Anybody fron st cyrils @ 50th & Hermitage?

Hey Rich,

St Cyrils & his brother Methodius fest day was February 14th.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact