Rebels

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Rebels
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:37PM

I can answer some of your questions concerning the Rebels and the story of Rogers tavern. I grew up on 50th Place on Oakley. We were a very close and tight neighborhood and not many outsiders came to our playground. Our neighborhood was only a 2 block square. We had railroad tracks on the East side. Railroad tracks and the pumping station on the North side. Western Blvd on the West side and Clausens Pickle Farm and the post office on the South side. My Aunt owned the Town Club Tavern on 50th St. (Nectar Beer sign) When she died in 1954 my uncle ran it for awhile and then turned it over to his daughter, my cousin. Her and her husband ran it until the late 60's and moved to Bridgeview where they bought Little Eddies Hot Dog stands. Roger then bought the tavern.

We had about 25-30 guys, not counting the girls and our older brothers, in our neighbor hood. Many were related cousins. Our families all knew each other and hung around the tavern, played pool, ate good food, watched the fights and danced on the weekends. We had our own little gang, however, we played alot of sports at the park. Roger Casper and a couple of his guys liked coming to our playground. One time he judged our Halloween costume contest and guess who won and why. My brother was dressed as Casper the friendly ghost. Good reason to be picked the winner. Roger knew our big brothers who belonged to the Son's of Italy bikers. We never had trouble from the Rebels. Does anyone know Jay the Polock, a Rebel, with a Candy convertible? He married Jackie my buddy's sister.
He worked for me many years later at the American Can Co CANCO on Western ave. along with Dave Maleck and Ralph Pakula.

We palyed softball and football at Cornell. We swam there , at Gage, McKinly, Davis. We had alot of friends at Cornell even some of the younger Knights gang. Does anyone remember Binky,Dave Malek orFranceswa? I went to St Michaels. We won our 7th and 8th grade softball leagues at Cornell. We, Oakley Playground, won 3rd in the city in 1956. Town Club Tavern, our sponser, had a photo of our team 6ft. x 10ft. hanging in the tavern and in Franks Grocery store until my cousin sold the tavern, now I have the photo. It's almost 60year old.
Someone mentioned Peewee. He hung around with my brother Roger. He was a pretty good ball player. He's in the photo. His Dad and my dad were friends. His brother Roger would give us free ice cream at Highlander Ice Cream Co on Western Blvd. His cousins lived upstairs from us. He had a sister Gail.

We all hung around the Back of the yards free fair. Joe Megans councilman.
Does anyone remember the swamps behind the fair. How about the White Mountains next to the pumping stration. It was then taken down and a underground reservoir was installed. Then the ball field was made into the Town of Lake Little League. Our hangout backed up to this field. It was a garage. Does anyone remember the Dumps it was the Cornell show across from the park. How about Leo's Castle a small hot dog and hamburger stand on 51st street Hermitage? How about Monos Tap and dance hall and picnic ground on 52nd & Damen Ave.?Peoples show or Drovers Bank? I watched them slaughter pigs every Friday. When we moved from Oakley my cousins and the guys started a new SAC called the Gamblers it kind of broke up when one of it's members, Babe, got stabbed in an alley, he lived after many surgeries. If anyone has more info. please reply.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Rebels
Posted by: ambrosemario ()
Date: January 14, 2015 05:27PM

Swede, I worked as a physical instructer at Oakley Playground in 1969/70. Oakley didn't have much of a field house and most of my time was spent passing out sports equipment in good weather and board games in bad weather. I recall that most of the neighborhood kids were essentially good - tough, but good. there were a few bad apples, but I liked most of them. they came from hard working parents. I remember the small, neighborhood grocery store directly north of the field house. I'd often go there and order a fresh made sandwich from the nice lady who ran it. there was also a popular neighborhood tavern just a half block north and west, which seemed to be THE hangout for neighborhood dads. That neighborhood was "old school" before the term became popular. I really enjoyed my time there.

AD:

Date: January 14, 2015 07:51PM

That fieldhouse was small, however, we sure packed it everyday after school. During the winter we all kept the ice nice and clean and no one would skate until it was ready. Winter time was project time, building race cars, model planes or any type of wood craft. We had ping pong tournaments amomg ourselves and then against other playgrounds. We had one instructor in the 50's we called her Teach. She was just as good as any of the male instructors.
It was the Good Old Times.

AD:

Date: January 15, 2015 12:26AM

[b]I lived on 50th & wolcott and later hung out at Roger's tavern. That was in the 70's. Roger lives in Florida now and his wife Stella lives in Oak Lawn.I knew all the rebels and we probably know each other,[/b]Lived on wolcott until 1957 when I married and moved to Brighton park in 1962. I know it all about the back of the yards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2015 10:06PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: Luddite ()
Date: January 16, 2015 12:06AM

My Great Uncle lived down the street from the park at 2233.
We had to back up the car to Oakley from there, always fun in winter.
He will be gone 50 years next month.

AD:

Date: January 16, 2015 10:49PM

This is a small world. I grew up at 2237 West 50th place and we moved in 1956. I can't remember the names of our neighbor at 2233, howver, they were a nice Polish couple and I always addressed them as Mr or Mrs. If they were your Great Uncle and Aunt they were very nice. They had a nice vegitable and flower garden. I always picked their flower and brought them home to my mom.
When your little the street felt big and your right when I revisted the area in my adult years I wondered how cars got down the street.

AD:

Date: January 16, 2015 11:14PM

[b]We may have chatted at the bar.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Luddite ()
Date: January 17, 2015 08:30PM

The names were Joe and Louise Vobroucek, they were Czech on both sides.
Joe was my mothers uncle and he was the gardener. We kept envelopes full of seeds from him
for at least 20 years after he passed. He died of a heart attack on his first ever vacation in Las Vegas.
Louise followed him in 1966 and the house went to her relatives, the place was like a 1930s time capsule.
They came with us on my first trip to the free fair. I remember walking through the ticket and paper cup covered dirt and all those people with a goldfish in a bowl of colored water.
You might have seen me or other family members come and go, I was about three when you moved.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2015 01:00PM

Luddite, The names Joe and Louise now bring back old memories. We were Slovak on my dads side and Polish on my moms. My dad passed away at 57, due to a heart attack, in 1970 and my mom passed at 85 due to cancer in 2001. The kids in the neighborhood waited all year for the church carnivals and the free fair, our hang out for the summers.

AD:

Date: January 21, 2015 09:55PM

SWEDE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can answer some of your questions concerning the
> Rebels and the story of Rogers tavern. I grew up
> on 50th Place on Oakley. We were a very close and
> tight neighborhood and not many outsiders came to
> our playground. Our neighborhood was only a 2
> block square. We had railroad tracks on the East
> side. Railroad tracks and the pumping station on
> the North side. Western Blvd on the West side and
> Clausens Pickle Farm and the post office on the
> South side. My Aunt owned the Town Club Tavern on
> 50th St. (Nectar Beer sign) When she died in 1954
> my uncle ran it for awhile and then turned it over
> to his daughter, my cousin. Her and her husband
> ran it until the late 60's and moved to Bridgeview
> where they bought Little Eddies Hot Dog stands.
> Roger then bought the tavern.
>
> We had about 25-30 guys, not counting the girls
> and our older brothers, in our neighbor hood.
> Many were related cousins. Our families all knew
> each other and hung around the tavern, played
> pool, ate good food, watched the fights and danced
> on the weekends. We had our own little gang,
> however, we played alot of sports at the park.
> Roger Casper and a couple of his guys liked coming
> to our playground. One time he judged our
> Halloween costume contest and guess who won and
> why. My brother was dressed as Casper the friendly
> ghost. Good reason to be picked the winner. Roger
> knew our big brothers who belonged to the Son's of
> Italy bikers. We never had trouble from the
> Rebels. Does anyone know Jay the Polock, a Rebel,
> with a Candy convertible? He married Jackie my
> buddy's sister.
> He worked for me many years later at the American
> Can Co CANCO on Western ave. along with Dave
> Maleck and Ralph Pakula.
>
> We palyed softball and football at Cornell. We
> swam there , at Gage, McKinly, Davis. We had alot
> of friends at Cornell even some of the younger
> Knights gang. Does anyone remember Binky,Dave
> Malek orFranceswa? I went to St Michaels. We won
> our 7th and 8th grade softball leagues at Cornell.
> We, Oakley Playground, won 3rd in the city in
> 1956. Town Club Tavern, our sponser, had a photo
> of our team 6ft. x 10ft. hanging in the tavern and
> in Franks Grocery store until my cousin sold the
> tavern, now I have the photo. It's almost 60year
> old.
> Someone mentioned Peewee. He hung around with my
> brother Roger. He was a pretty good ball player.
> He's in the photo. His Dad and my dad were
> friends. His brother Roger would give us free ice
> cream at Highlander Ice Cream Co on Western Blvd.
> His cousins lived upstairs from us. He had a
> sister Gail.
>
> We all hung around the Back of the yards free
> fair. Joe Megans councilman.
> Does anyone remember the swamps behind the fair.
> How about the White Mountains next to the pumping
> stration. It was then taken down and a underground
> reservoir was installed. Then the ball field was
> made into the Town of Lake Little League. Our
> hangout backed up to this field. It was a garage.
> Does anyone remember the Dumps it was the Cornell
> show across from the park. How about Leo's Castle
> a small hot dog and hamburger stand on 51st street
> Hermitage? How about Monos Tap and dance hall and
> picnic ground on 52nd & Damen Ave.?Peoples show or
> Drovers Bank? I watched them slaughter pigs every
> Friday. When we moved from Oakley my cousins and
> the guys started a new SAC called the Gamblers it
> kind of broke up when one of it's members, Babe,
> got stabbed in an alley, he lived after many
> surgeries. If anyone has more info. please reply.

YES IREMEMBER ALL YOU SAID> WE WENT TO THE DUMPS OFTEN ANF FISHED AT DAMEN FIELD>

AD:

Date: January 21, 2015 10:08PM

I,m glad that I found this site. It brings back good and some bad memories, however, they were the good old times.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F ()
Date: January 22, 2015 01:03AM

I'm pretty certain the Rebels had more than 25-30 guys. They had members as far North as 43rd-St and as far South as the West Englewood side of the Blvd, and from East of Ashland and West into Gage Park.

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 01:44PM

[b]There was no official membership. Guys began to hang out there from different area gangs like the spartans of 48th & hermitage.One fellow claimed to be with the sons of italy. The sartans never had a gang fight so they stagged one and even called the cops to ge attention.[/b]

AD:

Date: January 22, 2015 11:18PM

Hi Eric, The 25 - 30 guys I mentioned were us guys from Oakley Playground in the two square blocks of our neighborhood. I'm sure the Rebels had alot more and then there were junior Rebels. Like Rich said who knows how many.

AD:

Posted by: Eric F ()
Date: January 22, 2015 11:58PM

OK, I see what you mean. Later in the 60's the Gaylords had several big hangouts in the area as well. Sherman Park, The Hut at 50th-Ashland, the poolroom at 55th-Ashland, the playground at 49th-Throop, Fulton playground at 53rd-Wood.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact