Horse Fountain in Washington Park
Horse Fountain in Washington Park
Posted by: k8ydid ()
Date: February 27, 2008 06:34PM

Have you run across a horse fountain in Washington Park? I'm reading an article from the "Sunday Chronicle" of April 5, 1896 that said a man was leaving money at his death to build an "ornamental drinking fountain, with equestrian features, to be placed at the corner of south Park avenue and fifty-fifth street...A bronze portrait figure, life-size, of his famous horse will stand, looking toward the east, to the spot where he won his victories, on the Garden City track; under him will be an elaborately ornamented drinking fountain of large holding capacity. Upon the base will be this simple inscription: "Ike Cook. One mile track. Time--2:30" It will be a superb work of art and its estimated cost is $50,000."

This same man also erected the "Eternal Silence" statue by Loredo Taft in Graceland Cemetery. I can't find if this horse fountain was ever built or what happened to it if it was. You sound like people who might know!

Thanks!

Re: Horse Fountain in Washington Park
Posted by: adgorn ()
Date: January 09, 2010 01:25AM

Your post inspired me to do a little research. The man was Henry Graves. (He built the spooky monument in Graceland for his father Dexter.) Henry was one of the oldest residents of Chicago, and a horseman. I found an article in the Tribune archives dated 6/28/1909 entitled "Design for Henry Graves Fountain in Honor of the Old Racer "Ike Cook"". It includes a photo. (PM me with email address and I'll send to you.) There is no subsequent article on building it, but a few prior detailing with his interesting life, demise and this bequest.

I do know the sculpture people for the Park District and City and can inquire if they know anything about what may have ultimately happened.

Alan

Date: January 14, 2010 03:00AM

There is a modest horse fountain at the northern end of the cinder horse trail on the Evanston lakefront at Sheridan & Clark. It's now used as a flower planter.

Posted by: adgorn ()
Date: January 26, 2010 06:46PM

"There is a modest horse fountain at the northern end of the cinder horse trail on the Evanston lakefront at Sheridan & Clark. It's now used as a flower planter."

That is a Yerkes Fountain. See http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM48MR_Yerkes_Fountain_Evanston_IL for more info.

The post refers to fountain that apparently was never built that actually was to look like a horse.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact