House Surrounded by Alleys (no street frontage)

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
House Surrounded by Alleys (no street frontage)
Posted by: tom12ga ()
Date: April 21, 2013 01:09AM

Does anyone have any information on the house and other property that is land-locked between three alleys just south of Wrightwood between Ashland and Clybourn? It does not have frontage on any street. Altgeld, Marshfield and Wrightwood are the three nearest streets; the alley directly behind each street creates a triangular piece of land that has two structures, one house and one more industrial-looking building.

Perhaps someone who attended Prescott Elementary/St. Bonnies or grew up near Wrightwood and Ashland knows something about these two buildings.

There were several others I knew of, but all now appear to be torn down.

Both buildings off of Wrightwood are viewable with Google Maps.

These insular buildings are usually only found very near to diagonal streets.

I'd like to see if we perhaps can compile a list of buildings that are surrounded by alleys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 09:57AM by tom12ga.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: House Surrounded by Alleys (no street frontage)
Posted by: bowler ()
Date: April 22, 2013 10:49PM

In the Garfield Ridge neighborhood (SW side). There is a small street called W. 57th Place with 6 addresses on it. It is located in between Massassoit and Major and between 57th St and 58th St. Major Avenue, while appearing as a street in Google Maps is actually an alley, so the only access to the houses is through the alley.

It's viewable on Google Maps if you search for 5700 S. Major.

There is also a "House in the Alley" located down the alley between 56th and 55th and Massasoit and the railroad tracks just to the east. It is usually a stop on our historical tour of Garfield Ridge that we will be advertising soon :)

AD:

Posted by: Lance Grey ()
Date: April 23, 2013 12:44AM

tom12ga Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone have any information on the house and
> other property that is land-locked between three
> alleys just south of Wrightwood between Ashland
> and Clybourn? It does not have frontage on any
> street. Altgeld, Marshfield and Wrightwood are the
> three nearest streets; the alley directly behind
> each street creates a triangular piece of land
> that has two structures, one house and one more
> industrial-looking building.
>
> Perhaps someone who attended Prescott
> Elementary/St. Bonnies or grew up near Wrightwood
> and Ashland knows something about these two
> buildings.

> Both buildings off of Wrightwood are viewable with
> Google Maps.

This Prescott ('74) Grad knew people who knew people who lived there and I know I've mentioned that triangle in a thread here before.

I know the long, brick garage on the south side of the alley behind Wrightwood once served as a stable for horses used by Terra-Cotta.
I guessing the alley locked house was the Stable Masters' home.

AD:

Posted by: tom12ga ()
Date: April 23, 2013 01:06AM

@Lance, Thanks for tying in the Terracotta Factory (and Terracotta Pl.) with the stables. It is very helpful.

AD:

Posted by: Paul Petraitis ()
Date: May 03, 2013 12:51PM

Again kinda on topic but...out here on the far south side there were rural communities that existed before annexation (1890-ish) that still retain mail service on former "farm roads" that are now urban allaeys. One is on the old Morgan Farm (dating from 1844-ca.1890) at the top of the hill near 92nd and Pleasent (there was also an old family cemetery near here) and the others are "back lot" houses in Kensington "Americas first Rail Town around 116th and Indiana. Any other spots in Chicago getting mail delivered in an alley? I konw there are some alleys in Blue Island south of 119th east of Western that still do...

AD:

Posted by: chitransplant ()
Date: July 21, 2015 06:05PM

I'm not sure about that one but there is another one that sits in the alley under the Pionk Line "L" tracks on Cullerton St. (2000 S.) just west of Paulina (1700 W).

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact