Salerno Santa's Favorites Cookies (formerly Jingles)

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Salerno Santa's Favorites Cookies (formerly Jingles)
Posted by: EricV ()
Date: December 15, 2014 02:31PM

Has anyone seen these for sale this year? Anise flavored cookie with red or green sugar sprinkled on them. I tried Food 4 Less (where I've gotten them before-Mrg said they hadn't received any yet this year) and Jewel in Evanston. When I asked at Jewel a nice lady standing nearby told me she's on the lookout as well and she didn't find them at Walmart or Target either. Keebler bought the name Jingles but they aren't the same cookie at all. I'm putting together a local brand basket for a friend out east-Jay's Potato Chips, Frangos in a Marshall Field tin (Macy's has a couple of different Frango packages with Field's artwork this year), Matt's Cookies, Hostess Cup Cakes. Any other local junk food from our childhoods come to mind? This is going via automobile so no frozen stuff. I considered Mrs. Fisher's Chips from Rockford (Binny's in Skokie has them)-they taste just like Yo-Ho Potato Chips-but my friend never had Yo-Hos. Any help or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
Merry Christmas!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Salerno Santa's Favorites Cookies (formerly Jingles)
Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: December 15, 2014 03:58PM

Yes, I have had them this year. My wife's cousin bought them so I am not aware of where she got them. Flavor-wise they were reminiscent of the old Jingles but about 1/3 the size and naturally the red and green sugar looks great on the package but what you get on the cookie is far less. Of course, following today's trend the net weight of the item is just a few ounces, maybe 10, compared to what was maybe a pound box of cookies in our youth.

AD:

Posted by: West Town ()
Date: December 15, 2014 04:39PM

I don't know if they are still in business, but not to far from the old Maurice Lennel factory at 3829 N. Harlem is The Cookie Store. They carrry Maurice Lennel & Jay's products. They have a web site www.chicagocookiestore.com

AD:

Posted by: West Town ()
Date: December 15, 2014 04:40PM

Sorry, I went on their website and as far as Salerno products they only list the Butter Cookies, still it might be worth a shot.

AD:

Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: December 19, 2014 04:13PM

Oh man, I miss their pinwheels!

AD:

Posted by: gman ()
Date: December 19, 2014 04:21PM

Fluky's or Vienna-branded fluorescent green relish and sport peppers. For that matter Vienna hot dogs (should survive a car trip).

And even our old (non-Jewish) neighbors who relocated to Arizona get nostalgic for Romanian Kosher salami.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact