Old Kaufman Fur Coat help

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Old Kaufman Fur Coat help
Posted by: KaufmanKool ()
Date: May 14, 2015 07:31PM

Hello,

I recently picked up a fur coat from my grandmother and I'm having trouble finding any information about it.

The tag says "Styled exclusively for Kaufman's" and then underneath that it says "Milwaukee - Diversey - Kimball"

I was wondering if anyone might have any more information on what Kaufman's was. was it a chain or a private owned? I can't find any information about Kaufman fur coats anywhere. The coat doesn't have a size listed, nor do I know what kind of fur it is. I have 2 pictures of the coat below.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Old Kaufman Fur Coat help
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 14, 2015 10:14PM

There was a thread here about the Klaus Department Store that has some mentions of Kaufman's and a couple of photos of the intersection in the early '60s.

http://forgottenchicago.com/forum/1/1757/page=2/_subject_

AD:

Posted by: hardwareman ()
Date: May 15, 2015 12:24AM

Kaufmans moved to Lawrence & Harlem in Norridge after the Diversey & Kimball store was torn down for the new subway.

AD:

Date: May 15, 2015 12:45AM

Was kaufman's a private business or a part of a bigger department store chain?

I know there is a Kaufmann's department store but I'm assuming they were different.

AD:

Posted by: EricV ()
Date: May 15, 2015 10:52AM

Kaufman's was described as a woman's apparel store in a 4/11/64 Tribune story about them opening a store on Michigan Avenue. Here's a link but you have to scroll down all the way thru the want ads to get to section 2, page 7-the link takes you 1B, page 7:
[url=http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1964/04/11/page/57/article/kaufmans-picks-site-on-michigan-av/index.html]Kaufman's Picks Site on Michigan Av.[/url]
another story from 1949 about the store moving calls it a men's and women's apparel dealer:
[url=http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1949/05/14/page/21/article/apparel-dealer-to-move-to-remodeled-quarters]Apparel Dealer to Move[/url]
By 1975 the 744 N Michigan Ave, 4800 N Harlem & Woodfield Mall are listed as their stores.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2015 11:04AM by EricV.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: May 15, 2015 11:36AM

Kaufmans went out of business years ago, but the building they built in Norridge still exists, and its the home of a bank now. It's on the northwest corner of Harlem and Lawrence.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: May 20, 2015 05:41PM

It was a bridal shop in the mid 1980's as well Dunning. Margie's Bridal I think.

I can remember a Kaufman's store in Logan Square across from Goldblatts in the mid 1960's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 05:53PM by rjmachon.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: May 20, 2015 06:32PM

Margie's Bridals was further south on Harlem, at Montrose. The building now houses Lee Auto Parts and a video game store.

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: May 20, 2015 06:48PM

I know it was a bridal shop but I can't recall the name. My ex was in there looking at dresses back then!

AD:

Posted by: EricV ()
Date: May 21, 2015 02:10PM

A bit more info on Kaufman's from a story in the Tribune in 1981 when the stores were lining up a unnamed buyer (I found no further mention in the Trib archives of who bought them) Founded 1921, located 2775 N Milwaukee by late 40s. Originally menswear, ladies apparel added later, by the time of the movie to Kimball & Diversey (circa 1949) strictly women's wear.

AD:

Date: May 23, 2015 01:56AM

thank you for the information!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact