SWANK ROLLER RINK

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
SWANK ROLLER RINK
Posted by: karenvie44 ()
Date: February 03, 2014 08:35PM

I went to Swank Rollr Rink on 111th and Wesern Ave. I became pretty good and started taking lessons onSaturday mornings. Soon I found a partner, Dave Earle, and we started perfecting our dances. Waltz, Jitterbug, FoxTrot. My gram made me a reversible skating costume - red and black velvet short skirt and vest and Dave and I started entering contests. Loved skating the couples dances in the mood lighting. On Saturday nights the rink turned into a record hop with Jim Loundsbury. This was during the American Bandstan era. I can close my eyes and I'm back there. Those were the good days.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: SWANK ROLLER RINK
Date: February 03, 2014 11:28PM

[b]I was there in the 50's and had some good times myself. I liked roller skating a lot back then.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: Bull@63 ()
Date: February 10, 2014 02:58PM

David Earle was a friend of ours during high school. We,Bob B.,Frank K.,Joe R., and I,Don J. Used to skate there many Sundays. We would then go to a big room off of the rink to dance during skate breaks. it had a jukebox.
David was an outstanding skater. Thanks for the memory,Karenvie44!

AD:

Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: May 12, 2015 01:49AM

When you say The Swank I always think of the organ and the Plantation Boogie.
You mentioned Jim Lounsbury, I still have a pass to one of his record hops at Lawn Manor Youth Center 66th and kedzie Sat. May 20, 1961. LOL My wife are still good jitterbugers.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact