69th and South Ashland Ave.

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
69th and South Ashland Ave.
Posted by: SWEDE ()
Date: February 07, 2015 11:10PM

Does anyone remember Delcos Ice Cream Parlor?

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: 69th and South Ashland Ave.
Posted by: Longford ()
Date: February 07, 2015 11:40PM

I worked at Delco's, on the NE corner of 69th & Ashland, part of the time when I was in high school (post-1963). I worked overnight. There was a bar attached, in the storefront to the east. At the time I worked there it was past the heyday of the place. Two guys, Greek I'm thinking, owned the place. I handled the soda fountain and liquor sales (even though I was a minor), and the two owners worked the bar. Ice cream was home-made, then. Brent's Grill was across the street; a great short-order cook/diner type place. The CTA 'car barn' was on the SW corner. A furniture store was on the NW corner. Stadelman's Drug Store was nearby, as was Marvin Ray's butcher shop, Lemay Bakery, ValueLand department store and a 5 and 10 I'm forgetting the name of (and which we lived above once). There was also a hardware store close by. What a great neighborhood that was, "back in the day."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2015 11:41PM by Longford.

AD:

Date: February 08, 2015 12:00AM

Longford, this is SWEDE again. This is a small world. My wife said all the places you mentioned she remembers and that you made the best banana split LOL
Was the bakery next to the firehouse? In the ValueLand Dept.store they had some kind of mechcanical horse for kids to ride.

AD:

Date: February 08, 2015 01:02AM

Swede, yes, LeMay's Bakery was next to the firehouse; between the firehouse and Marvin Ray's butcher shop/grocery store. My grandmother had a house behind the bakery/firehouse at 6914 S. Justine, St.; across the alley, and we would wake-up (when we lived with her) to the smell of fresh baked sweet rolls/bread. Armand's ValueLand did have a mechanical horse, and also an X-Ray machine to examine your feet for shoe size. Kemper's 5 and 10 was on the north side of the street, 69th, between Justine and Ashland Ave. There was a bookie joint which looked like a barber shop, on the SE corner of 69th & Justine. As a grade school kid I worked at Mary Higgin's "mom and pop" store next to the bookie joint and between it and Chester's Tailor shop (E. of Justine), and across from the funeral home.

AD:

Date: February 08, 2015 10:29PM

Do you remember a DeMays barber shop on Loomis?

AD:

Date: February 09, 2015 01:10AM

I have no recollection of "DeMays" barber shop on Loomis, nor of any other barber shop on Loomis. We went to a barber shop located on the south side of 69th St., between Justine St. and Ashland Ave.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson ()
Date: February 18, 2015 11:43AM

The bakery was Hunsingers the funeral home was Cranes THE POOL ROOM CLUB BILLIARDS AND BARBERSHOP SHOP 1525 W 69TH ST.DELCOS BAR WAS CALLED BARREL LIQUERS. THE FIRE HOUSE CHICAGO BAT 101. THE BARBER SHOP WEST OF JUSTINE FRANK SENESE WAS THE BARBER. THE MENS STORE ON ASHLAND WEST SIDE OF STREET, NORTH OF 69TH WAS MALS MEN SHOP.THE RESTAURANT JUST SOUTH, THE UNION RESTAURANT. THE HARDWARE STORE ON THE SOUTH SIDE OF 69TH STREET MRS BURNS OWNED.THE HARDWARE STORE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF 69TH ZWIGORNS.THE POOLROOM CLOSED IN DEC 1967 AND MOVED TO 81ST S. WESTERN, NEXT TO THE GREEN DOOR TAVERN.

AD:

Posted by: tommy wilson ()
Date: February 18, 2015 06:41PM

CORRECTION - THE OWNER OF DELCOS NAME WAS SAM. HIS WIFE WHO WORKED IN THE STORE WAS A VALONE{ MAIDIEN }I FORGET SAMS LAST NAME.

AD:

Posted by: SouthSide41 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 02:46PM

I lived at 6720 South Marshfield....

Here is my story about St Justin. I attended until 1955.

http://memoriesofatime.com/2014/03/29/headline-local-5th-grader-saves-nun/

You can read more of my memories on my blog site. Thanks.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact