Mr. Peters Store

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Mr. Peters Store
Posted by: StrayKitten ()
Date: November 22, 2011 07:49PM

Does anyone remember a store called "Mr. Peters"? I found a box of letters and papers from my parents' house in a blue box with "Mr. Peters" on it. It looks like it might have contained a blouse or shirt at one time. From the looks of the box, I think it might have been a women's clothing store, but I've never heard of it and wondered if any of you have. Also, how long ago were they in business? I'm just wondering if my folks have always kept their treasures in this box or just transferred them there later in life. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Mr. Peters Store
Posted by: celticjunker1 ()
Date: December 10, 2012 05:48AM

A friend and I were just talking about Mr. Peters yesterday. We worked at the Chgo Board of Trade together as board markers (on the catwalk) starting in 1973 and every payday we would cash our checks at Continental Bank across the street from CBOT, buy an outfit from Mr. Peters across the street and then have lunch at BonoVino's. It was a popular shop. My friend also bought those plates with Chicago sites that the bank sold to customers when you made a deposit.

AD:

Re: Mr. Peters Store
Posted by: Renee ()
Date: October 13, 2014 12:49PM

Yes, Mr. Peters' boxes, bags and credit cards were all light blue. Mr. Peters, himself, was always neatly dressed in a light blue shirt and navy blue tie. From 1964 to 1968 I worked about 2 blocks from the store. One day while walking in the area, I saw Mr. Peters driving down the street in a baby-blue convertible, (top down) Pontiac Bonneville, I think. As a young woman of 18 or 19 I was very impressed.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact