Concrete blocks along Roosevelt near IC tracks

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Concrete blocks along Roosevelt near IC tracks
Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: October 26, 2013 02:40AM

The other day I was walking east on Roosevelt towards the museum campus and noticed these two large concrete blocks. They are right across from that big highrise apartment (Central Station I guess that is called). They are located just past that rusty leg scuplture thing and next to the sign about the history of Blues in Chicago, the Mississippi Blues Trail. The blocks have decorative designs on them and look like they came from some old building somewhere. Anyone know first of all what I'm talking about and second where they came from? I have a picture of one of them, but it's not on Flickr or I'd insert it here.
Central Station - the actual train station - was located near here and my idea is that possibly they are some remnants of that? There was no sign, no kind of explanation, nothing. Although they may have been there before, I honestly don't remember seeing them previously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 02:58AM by bwalsh.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Concrete blocks along Roosevelt near IC tracks
Posted by: bwalsh ()
Date: October 26, 2013 03:01AM

Bingo! They ARE remnants of the Station. Supposedly they were returned to the site in 2004, so I don't know how I missed them prior to this.

http://www.emporis.com/building/centralstation-chicago-il-usa

Okay. Sorry. I see this was part of a discussion that happened back in 2012. Admins can delete this if they like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2013 03:06AM by bwalsh.

AD:

Re: Concrete blocks along Roosevelt near IC tracks
Posted by: davey7 ()
Date: October 29, 2013 03:55PM

I love that the picture on Emporis of Central Station is the blocks.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact