Bullshead?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Bullshead?
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: March 12, 2013 01:27PM

While rummaging around the tribune's archives I ran across a reference to a neighborhood called "Bullshead" which I had never heard of.

Due to the vague references in the article it was either near Bucktown or near Pilsen.

Does anyone know?

I found in an article about Clem Graver, a state rep and 21st ward rep committeeman who was kidnapped from his home in the summer of '53 and never found.
This was another story I didn't know.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bullshead?
Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: March 12, 2013 02:25PM

In 1848, Matthew Laflin bought land, and laid out the city's first stockyard, and set up a Bull's Head Tavern and hotel for the convenience of cattlemen. So, perhaps the location of this stockyard and hotel may be the origin of "Bullshead".

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: March 12, 2013 05:27PM

nordsider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In 1848, Matthew Laflin bought land, and laid out
> the city's first stockyard, and set up a Bull's
> Head Tavern and hotel for the convenience of
> cattlemen. So, perhaps the location of this
> stockyard and hotel may be the origin of
> "Bullshead".

I saw some mention of the tavern, but the references I found put it at Madison and Ogden. That doesn't fit with the original articles statement that it was a nearby neighborhood to Bucktown, Humboldt Park (same paragraph) or possibly the abductees home at 976 W 18th Pl.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider ()
Date: March 12, 2013 06:46PM

To add to the mystery, Myrick's Tavern "the Bulls Head", on Cottage Grove Avenue, near 29th Street. Willard F. Myrick owned land between 26th and 31st streets, near the lake shore, and fenced-in an area for livestock; later called the Sherman Stockyards in 1856.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 08:48PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: murphman ()
Date: April 03, 2013 06:38AM

In the bucktown area there are several buildings with bulls heads protruding from their facades.
Often thought they were old butcher shops, but this questions begs a little more research. Have to look into it further as time allows. Have to say, time isn't allowing for much these days.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact