Native American Taverns In Uptown?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Native American Taverns In Uptown?
Posted by: ChiMike ()
Date: December 21, 2011 07:05PM

Does anyone remember the two taverns that were located on Broadway between Montrose and Wilson Ave in Uptown called the War Bonnet and the Tee Pee Inn? There was a barber shop close by that my Father used to take me to to get my hair cut when I was little,and I can remember the tavern signs outside of each establishment one that had an Indian headress and the other a tee pee. I recall there always being trouble there with violent incidents. One time while shopping with my Mother along Broadway a bunch of police cars converged on the scene along with a Chicago fire ambulance that took a guy who was bleeding profusely away from the scene. The CTAs Wilson yards of the El line were directly behind these places.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Native American Taverns In Uptown?
Posted by: murphman ()
Date: January 01, 2013 06:11AM

Remember that and several others notably the Wooden Nickel on Wilson.Crazy ass places. Have many stories about various places in that area in the eighties. Not being PC but the fire water was flowin big time and the natives were restless!!!

AD:

Re: Native American Taverns In Uptown?
Date: January 03, 2013 09:17PM

[b]I stopped in on one I think it was around Broadway in the 60's. The place began to get very loud so I got scard and left. I just stopped in for abeer while making a late TV service call and didn't know what kind of place it was. Well I still remember that it was different. It was on a corner and I thik in a Hotel building. The Ritz? [/b]

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact