Loomis & Jackson

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Loomis & Jackson
Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:24PM

This is, admittedly, a longshot, but I thought I would take a try at this. My maternal grandfather had a small delicatessen, grocery, and bar at 316 S. Loomis Street for years. It was located on the west side of Loomis, just north of the Eisenhower Expressway. The site is now covered by the south building of Whitney Young High School. He had the store from approximately 1922 to 1953. I grew up hearing stories about the old store and neighborhood, and just wondering if anyone out there might have stories or pictures of the old block.
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Loomis & Jackson
Posted by: Brule Laker ()
Date: November 30, 2012 09:37PM

I worked at 1300 W. Jackson in 1971-1972 in a building owned by Regensteiner Printing. It was knocked down shortly thereafter and the Police Academy was built. There wasn't much in the neighborhood. Being right out of college, I packed a lunch and didn't go out during the day.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:57PM

Brule, check out this image: 1300 W. Jackson ca. 1925.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 ()
Date: December 03, 2012 01:08PM

Thanks for the picture. Regensteiner was one of the companies my grandfather used to mention...the people came in for lunch. Thinshell Candies and Bremer Biscuit Company were also very close.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact