Fire at a Fire Station

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Fire at a Fire Station
Posted by: ChiTownJim ()
Date: November 27, 2012 07:27PM

Has anyone ever heard a story about a fire station in Chicago that caught on fire? I went to a fire station with a group of scouts a long time ago and I seem to remember the subject being brought up, kind of as a joke. I think the firefighter who was our tour guide said it was true but didn't go into detail about it.I tried the internet, but i couldn't find anything. It seems a few of you are knowledable about the fire dept, so I thought I would ask.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Fire at a Fire Station
Posted by: b.a.hoarder ()
Date: November 29, 2012 12:43AM

Not in Chicago proper, but near by at 86th & Roberts Rd the Roberts Park Fire Protection District was out on a call a number of years ago and they suffered a kitchen fire. Didn't burn down the station, but it did do substantial damage to the kitchen. RPFPD serves Hickory Hills, Justice and a portion of unincorporated Cook County.

AD:

Posted by: wkinzie ()
Date: November 29, 2012 11:01AM

Yes in Chicago proper! Engine 99 at 3042 s. kedvale caught fire not once but twice. The last fire was approimately 15 to 20 years ago. That fire did heavy damage to the second floor. They were on a run at the time. A friend of mine was assigned to that house and a neighbor told him that he has been living on that block for over 30 years and the only 2 fires on the block were at the firehouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2012 11:08AM by wkinzie.

AD:

Posted by: Berwyn Frank ()
Date: November 29, 2012 01:57PM

wkinzie's story is true! That fire station is in Little Village. I have a picture of the house burned after a fire in the late 70s.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact