McCormick Place Structure

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
McCormick Place Structure
Posted by: dean ()
Date: March 19, 2012 12:30PM

This structure is located at McCormick Place--by the South Building--the walkway between the South and East building. This structure starts @ the base of the Outer Drive and goes up 12 ft over the walkway. It is roughly 65 feet tall.

It is all cement, older than McCormick Place for sure. It is 12-14 square feet. It has designs of corn on it. There use to be 2 on each side of Cermak...3 were removed when they took Cermak out in the 1980's.

If anyone knows anything about this structure, it would easy my curious mind!

Thanks!
Dean

I have a picture if you want me to email it to you, please send private message!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: McCormick Place Structure
Posted by: QlassiQue ()
Date: March 19, 2012 09:08PM

Are you referring to bridge structures from the former 23rd Street bridge, which used to take cars to the original (East) building until it was closed to traffic with the 1996 South Building addition? Serhii Chrucky wrote about this in his Lake Shore Drive Redux article:

http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/lake-shore-drive-redux/

Speaking of McCormick Place, if you haven't already seen it, be sure to check out the FC175 article for a crazy resort-style resort hotel planned just south of the former 23rd Street. It was never built; a different high-rise hotel was built in the early 70s and torn down less than 25 years later - a photo is also in the Lake Shore Drive article. Another hotel, the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place, opened on King Drive in 1998 and is likely to be expanded soon with a second tower.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact