Hammond Library

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Hammond Library
Posted by: frostyplum ()
Date: September 24, 2011 04:12AM

I was looking through Library of Congress photos and stumbled across Hammond Library, touted as a "historic American building," at 44 N. Ashland. Apparently it wasn't historic enough, since it's gone now. Does anyone remember it or know what happened to it? I can guess, since it was not in the greatest of neighborhoods, but I like to satisfy my curiosity.

[url=http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=pphhphoto&fileName=il/il0100/il0115/photos/browse.db&action=browse&recNum=0&title2=Hammond%20Library,%2044%20North%20Ashland%20Avenue,%20Chicago,%20Cook,%20IL&displayType=1]LOC pictures[/url]

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Hammond Library
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: September 24, 2011 12:07PM

The Historic American Building Survey's primary activity is to document significant buildings just ahead of the wrecking ball. They are the last bullet in the handgun of historic preservation.
If you read the data pages connected with the file, you will that it was an Adler and Sullivan building originally housing the library for the Union Theological College.
It was demolished in '63 , just weeks after the photographs were taken.
As far as I can tell it has been a parking lot for the church ever since.

AD:

Re: Hammond Library
Posted by: frostyplum ()
Date: September 28, 2011 03:00AM

And me being a Sullivan lover...I didn't even think about it. Thanks for the information.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact