Camp Douglas Archaeological Investigation May 15-19, 2014

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Camp Douglas Archaeological Investigation May 15-19, 2014
Posted by: andyirv ()
Date: May 15, 2014 04:37PM

In cooperation with De Paul University, Camp Douglas Restoration Foundation will conduct an archaeological excavation, May 15 through May 19 on the campus of John J. Pershing Magnet School, 3200 S. Calumet Ave. This will supplement the investigation we performed at the same site in Oct. of 2013. Students from De Paul University and other volunteers will conduct the excavation under the guidance of Dr. Michael Gregory.
The site for the 2014 excavation is planned immediately to the east of the 2013 site. Dr. Gregory and the Foundation are attempting to better locate the prisoner barracks believed to have been in this area. Using drawings and maps, we hope to be able to investigate areas around the location of the former barracks, especially possible garbage pits.
Feel free to visit us over the next couple of days, and please visit our website for more information: www.campdouglas.org

- Andy Irvine, CDRF

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Camp Douglas Archaeological Investigation May 15-19, 2014
Date: May 19, 2014 09:27PM

[b]I sure hope you find something. I couldn't find a trace of it a few years back. This is something not many people seem to know about. My friend who is a big military history buff knew nothing about Camp Douglas. I am 78 years old, lived in Chicago all my lfe and only found out in the last few years online.[/b]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2014 08:39PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Posted by: andyirv ()
Date: May 23, 2014 01:43PM

Although the archaeological investigation was very successful, we did not find anything that was immediately known to be from Camp Douglas. Found what appears to be lots of debris from the demolition of the row houses that once stood in that location (broken glass, broken bottles, bricks, coal, slag, etc.)

Please check back on the campdouglas.org website for updates, or sign up for our monthly newsletter. We will likely have more excavations this year.

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: May 23, 2014 01:54PM

Hi Andy,

Fascinating stuff! I read in the newsletter that your group will be attending various Civil War reenactment events. There is another one coming up in June in Washington Park directly in front of the DuSable Museum. Hopefully your group can make a presentation there as well!

AD:

Posted by: mogee ()
Date: June 08, 2014 01:15PM

I read a book on Camp Douglas called To Die In Chicago. I also went to a memorial for the 6,000 Confederate Soldiers who are buried at Oak Wood Cemetary.

AD:

Posted by: Bette Page ()
Date: June 24, 2014 11:33PM

Have there been any for the Union Victims of Andersonville ?

AD:

Posted by: mogee ()
Date: June 25, 2014 01:47PM

They have memorials all the time at Andersonville. They also do reenactments there. Andersonville gets a lot of tourism. The Confederate Soldiers buried here don't get much visitors. I'll bet most people in Chicago never knew of Camp Douglas or the Dead Confederate Soldiers.

AD:

Date: June 27, 2014 10:18PM

[b]I only learned about camp douglas a few years ago on the internet and I am going on 78 years old,born and raised in Chicago. My brotherinlaw is a military buff and he never knew about camp douglas a a POW camp and what took place. I guess it's not something local historians want to teach about.[/b]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 10:20PM by Richard Stachowski.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact