Wanzer Dairy Smokestack

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Wanzer Dairy Smokestack
Posted by: Robin ()
Date: May 01, 2014 02:11PM

Greetings,

I remember the Wanzer Dairy Smokestack, which said Wanzer vertially from the top. I am not sure where it was, though. I think it must have been somewhere on the North Side, likely not much farther south than Fullerton, and east of Western Ave. I would like to know more precisely where it was .... or is (though it wouldn't surprise me to know that it's gone.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Wanzer Dairy Smokestack
Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: May 01, 2014 07:21PM

The main dairy in Chicago was at Garfield Blvd. (55th Street) and the Dan Ryan Expressway It was torn down in the mid 80's and is now a shopping center.

AD:

Date: May 01, 2014 08:50PM

rjmachon,

I see. Couldn't be what I was seeing, though, because I was rarely if ever down there at the time I'm remembering. The area I gave above is approximate, and bigger than necessary.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: May 01, 2014 09:36PM

There was a Wanzer's behind the Sears auto care on Lawrence between Ravenswood & Wolcott.

AD:

Date: May 01, 2014 09:54PM

That would be it!! I either visited or lived at Carmen Avenue near Ravenswood then. Surprised it was so close. Must have come down in the early sixties, as I would have walked right by it on the way to McPherson School at Lawrence and Wolcott. Thanks, PK.

AD:

Posted by: G. O. Mancer ()
Date: October 12, 2014 12:09AM

"Wanzer's on milk, is like Sterling on silver".

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact