367 N. Karlov
367 N. Karlov
Posted by: Mercer52 ()
Date: April 21, 2014 07:04PM

Anyone know the early history of this building? I know it was used as studio space for bands recently, but I haven't been able to find out what it was originally. It's a beautiful old building probably on its way to demolition.

Re: 367 N. Karlov
Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: April 21, 2014 07:30PM

The polk directory puts it as "YMCA (RR Dept)" in '29

Posted by: rjmachon ()
Date: April 21, 2014 08:49PM

Under the Cook County Assessor's Office The address comes up as 4059 W Kinzie St. Nothing under 367 North Karlov. Probably because the building is listed as being built in 1898. But I can see 367 over the doorway on the street view.

When you look at the google map, Cudner and O'Conner is shown over the building. The building across the alley comes up as 367 North Karlov, Redlight Studios but it is an old frame house not even on the corner. It is all goofy!

Whatever is was, 367 N., it was a nice looking building when it was built. Did anyone check out the second floor windows? Pretty cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 08:51PM by rjmachon.

Date: April 21, 2014 09:02PM

[b]I lost the Polk's directory when we chaged PC's recently. I can't get it back again. Can you give me the address for it?[/b]

Posted by: PKDickman ()
Date: April 21, 2014 09:44PM

Richard Stachowski Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I lost the Polk's directory when we chaged PC's
> recently. I can't get it back again. Can you
> give me the address for it?

I get it via the Historical Society's architecture and building history page.

[url=http://www.chicagohistory.org/research/resources/architecture]Chgo Hist Museum Arch History page[/url]

It acts kind of wonky if I try to open it with Chrome (probably my privacy settings)
It works fine on Internet explorer however.

Even so, it has been my policy to save a copy of each letter I open and store it on my computer to peruse offline.

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 29, 2014 06:20PM

I found a reference to it from '21 in a YMCA yearbook where it's listed as the Chicago & North Western RR Depot YMCA, which I assume means a facility for railroad workers.

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact