Tied house?

Questions and Answers (Q&A) Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Have a question about a specific element in Chicago's history? Ask Away! 
Tied house?
Posted by: Gorf ()
Date: April 15, 2014 09:41PM

From what I've read, the West Side brewery was located at what is now Augusta and Paulina. I'm finding some anecdotal evidence that it had some additional operations at what is now Winchester and Augusta. Can someone help me confirm if the Winchester location was perhaps a West Side Brewery tied house, or if they performed some brewing operations there?
Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Tied house?
Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 16, 2014 01:53AM

Did Winchester have a different name at one point? The only references I can find are for the Augusta/Paulina facility which went over to Marshfield (then called Rumsey St).

AD:

Date: April 16, 2014 11:11AM

Winchester was Dudley Street first (on this particular block), but was Winchester during most of the time period I'm refering to. I have some property records that identify the property being in the hands of both the City brewery and the West Side Brewing Company/West Side Brewery. The other tied houses in the vicinity are Val Blatz and Peter Hand related, but this property is much older. And it did serve as a tavern for a time. That's why I am interested to see if they were a tied house or perhaps a sub-operation.
Thanks,

AD:

Posted by: WayOutWardell ()
Date: April 21, 2014 01:48AM

What's the address of the Winchester property? I found a reference to the Stensen Brewery on Winchester, but the address would now be 1752 N.

AD:

Date: April 22, 2014 01:35PM

It's pre-Brennan address would have been 420 N Winchester, which would now be on the southeast corner of Winchester and Augusta with frontage on both streets.
Thanks!

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact